1968/1971 steering wheel swap possible?

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hi FABO guys

I like horn ring 3-spokes steering wheels and I would like to know if it's possible to directly install a 68 A-body (Barracuda, Valiant or Dart) steering wheel on my 1971 Demon column?
Thx

1968 horn ring.jpg

Spline count is the same. I have seen people put 70 up steering wheels on 69 and older columns because the 69 and older column is a smaller diameter. I have not seen it the other way around. This being said, I believe a deluxe padded half or even full horn ring steering wheel was offered In 1970 on the higher end B body cars. Since 1970 was the first year for a locking steering column it should be a direct fit with your 71. Happy hunting I believe this is a 1 year only steering wheel.

As was already said, the 69 and back columns are smaller in diameter. The ignition keys were on the dash. In 1970 the key was added to the steering column. The columns had to get bigger to fit the key in there. That means the base of the steering wheel is smaller on the older cars as well. I'm not sure that swap would work.

I may have what you are looking for if you want, in very good condition.
If so, shoot me a PM and we can work out a fair price. I know the extra shipping charges sometimes add up when you try and pick up the package on your end.
Screenshot_20200730-085402_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200730-085445_Gallery.jpg

Thanks all for your answers
Effectively, post-1969 steering wheel bases are larger in diameter. So, installing a narrower 67-68 steering wheel, even if it's technically possible, would be disgraceful.

@Joey : Thanks a lot for your proposition but I think that I have to abandon my swap project. :(

Francois

Not necessarily. I believe a wheel with the half horn ring your looking for that fits the wider key locking column was also used in 1970 B body cars. It's a bit of a needle in a haystack find as it would be 1 year only, but it will fit your 71.

Not necessarily. I believe a wheel with the half horn ring your looking for that fits the wider key locking column was also used in 1970 B body cars. It's a bit of a needle in a haystack find as it would be 1 year only, but it will fit your 71.

Yes, I agree but '70 B-body steering wheels have a padded horn ring. It's not so sexy that the chromed 67-68 wheels.
And as you say : it's like finding a needle in a haystack...or pricey :eek: :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Mopar...410574?hash=item46ab58704e:g:MJYAAOSwUvBeeXiw

What's wrong with that? It's the deluxe wheel. It's a step up from the 68-69 base wheel. The deluxe wheel with a full horn ring is a further step up. And the rallye wheel is top of the line.

-
Back