-
Status
Not open for further replies.

72 340 DUSTER

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
i have forsale a 68 340. the casting date is 67 so im assuming its an early 68 engine being the 340 didnt debute untill 68, i do not know much about this engine except for that fact that it turns over, and i have turned it over about once every month since i bought it about a year ago, and it has 360 heads, casting number on the heads start 36 so i believe they are early 71-72 360 heads. has an edelbrock torker 340 intake, has factory water pump and all acessories such as altenater brackets, power steering bracket throtel linkage and so forth, also has good engine mounts and bushings.has what appears to be an electronic chrysler distributer minus the cap. i bought this engine not knowing a whole lot about it other than what im listing here. my original intentions were to rebuild it but i had been so busy i never even got to pull the pan on it, untill very recently i got a good deal on an already rebuilt engine and i now have no need for this one. i know 68 340s are very rare, i havent seen one this complete atleast on here since i joined about a year ago. i am asking 1000 for it and i believe that is a good price being i paid 1500 for it, i just need to get rid of it, and i feel it would be worth 1500 if it had 340 heads. this is a good rebuildable engine with a rare cast date, please send me a pm with any questions you may have and i will answer them the best i can, thanks View attachment DSC00953.jpg

View attachment DSC00954.jpg

View attachment DSC00955.jpg

View attachment DSC00956.jpg

if i am reading the casting numbers right and from what i see it reads 3671587. these are 1973 340 heads with a chamber volume of 65.0-73.0 cc's .they also used these heads on 360's in the years 73-74 and again in 76 according to my bible anyway. mopars rule. hope this helps and i hope i am right for a change.

Where in Kentucky are you?

Those heads look clean. What does the lifter valley look like?

if i am reading the casting numbers right and from what i see it reads 3671587. these are 1973 340 heads with a chamber volume of 65.0-73.0 cc's .they also used these heads on 360's in the years 73-74 and again in 76 according to my bible anyway. mopars rule. hope this helps and i hope i am right for a change.

I believe you're correct. The heads and water pump are later model. The heads most likely have 1.88 intake valves as the post 71 heads do. The water pump intake is on the wrong side for an early 340, this means the timing cover/timing mark is on the opposite side. This may also be from the later 360. Having pointed out these shortcomings, $1000.00 still doesn't sound too bad for somebody who just wants a quick upgrade from a 2 barrel 273/318.

i am in northern kentucky 10 minutes south of florence lxguy, and i stand corrected guys you are correct about the heads, i read the wrong part number in my book, i know the water pump is 71 and later but i do belive the timeing chain cover is 68 correct acording to my book, thanks

i am in northern kentucky 10 minutes south of florence lxguy, and i stand corrected guys you are correct about the heads, i read the wrong part number in my book, i know the water pump is 71 and later but i do belive the timeing chain cover is 68 correct acording to my book, thanks

It's a good thing the timing cover is correct, it makes it a real PITA to set the timing with the later model cover where the timing marks are on the opposite side. :scratch:

72,340 Duster, one thing you might do is check the top left rear of the engine and see if a partial VIN number is stamped on the edge. You might be able to reunite a long lost engine with its original car again.

also lxguy ive never had the intake or oil pan off so i honestly couldnt tell you

LOL. You should take the intake off and snap a pic. If its clean like those heads a photo will probably help sell it.

I got no business buying it, but I'm tempted.

Nobody (with any brains) would stick it in their car without pulling that off to check it out anyway.

Steve

oh i think a person would be crazy to put it in without atleast tearing it apart and freshening it up, i would not put it in a car because i have no clue what it is,

In the pic of the head the number that starts with 36. What are the last three digits? It looK like 367158 What are the last 2? If they are 94 Yhese would be 894 heads which are 68-69.

seems i have created a ton of contreversy over these heads lol, i belive they are 73-up 360 heads, and thats all i can tell you, if anyone is interested in the motor please send me a pm, thanks!

You're right that it is an early 68 block. Keep in mind that they launch the next model year somewhere between June and July the year before. Your casting date is June 22, then give the engine plant time to machine the block and then assemble the whole engine. This would put the engine as being assembled as early as June 29th giving them a week to machine and build the engine. Just in time to launch the 68 models.

Im interested but I still need to know what the number is on the front of the number one cylinder, it should start with dw340, this will tell when the actual build date was. Thanks, Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back