1968 340S Coupe 4spd

-

simon325e

Large Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this isn't a restoration YET, but it is an opportunity. I'd like some input on whether this makes sense and anything else you see.

I have found what looks to be a complete original 340s coupe that has been sitting since 1978 (62K on the odometer). It is severely rusted on just about every panel and underneath. It has 69 front fenders but everything else appears to be there, right down to the air cleaner. A lot of bits are broken or corroded. I am told it is the original drivetrain with original transmission in the trunk (so it comes with two 4-speeds). Current owner bought it recently from the son of the original owner and is looking to flip.

I have been out of the game for a long time- is this a total basket case? How would I go about valuing it? Seems like the drivetrain is the best thing about it. Without the build sheet can I confirm it is a Formula S? Any good resources for frame repair? Thanks!

interior.JPG

front.JPG

left rear.JPG

engine1.JPG

I have a 68 notch here that is solid as a rock. If I wanted a 68 S I would put the 2 together but to start with that car alone, aint no way ! You're looking at some clone parts, not a car.

There are a few ways to verify but the easiest way to confirm that its a Formula S is to check the VIN. In 68 the Formula S only came with a 340 which will be "P" in the 5th digit of the VIN or an "H" for a 383 car. Either case its rare car and worth fixing.

Speaking money, no matter what you buy it for, if you restore it you will be in the red. That being said, just basing this off the picture of the rusted out frame, that car will need a LOT of fabricating to make it even close to right. If it's got enough of the drivetrain and all the correct bits are still there and restorable, I'd say it might be worth it to pick up as a parts car and use to restore a Formula S or Dart GTS with the correct part. I'm not saying you should do a re-body switching #'s. What can be saved, should.

As for WIW in this shape, I'd say if the engine and trans are correct and there are some decent interior pieces, $1500 tops.

I disagree that it's beyond repair - it'll just be a lot of work. I've seen cars in a lot worse condition being sold as resto projects. Those rear frame rails can be replaced just like any other panel on the car - don;t think it'll take any more "fabrication" than any other panel either. However, I wouldn't pay more than a couple grand for that car if it's as rusty as you say - even w/ the original drivetrain.

I called it fabricating because the aftermarket frame rails I've seen were very crude. Maybe they're better now. If not, you'll be fabricating to be happy with the way they look.
Hopefully the car gets saved.

If I was goona restore a mopar from that condition It would have to be an e-body. A=body parts have e-body prices yet the car will never be equal in value.

Awesome input so far- thanks! I just need some other people who have been there and done that to chime in. I guess the main thing is how to think about the chassis and the restoration. Everything else is standard. Does that carb look restorable?

If I was goona restore a mopar from that condition It would have to be an e-body. A=body parts have e-body prices yet the car will never be equal in value.

So true. This makes no financial sense, which is why I will probably do it. I love these cars.

Good luck to you. I guess start by bringing the car home and getting it stripped down to the bare unibody, and go from there. I'd worry about the carb later...

Keep us posted on this. It's a neat car.

The opinions here are encouraging. I've got a worthy 70 Swinger 340 car that is no where near as rusty as that Barracuda but I've been hesitant to even offer it up for sale and have been thinking of parting it out.

Answer these 3 questions to yourself....

1. Is the price good?
2. Can you afford what it will take to restore it as well as know that what goes in will be more than the true value?
3. Are you prepared to tackle a project with that much work?

It all depends if you are ready to take this on. I have had customers tackle that and worse and dump more than 2x the value of the car into it. But on the other hand they didn't care since this car was what they wanted.

Ok, so help me out with the basics. the first thing i want to do is verify the numbers on the drivetrain. IIRC, the engine is stamped on the drivers side- I need help decoding that for a match. If there is a reference that has this sort of info please just point me there. Second, and more improtantly is how to verify the tranny is matching. The 8 3/4 rear should have a tab with the gear ratio, but any other markings verify it as correct?

For those who asked: the price is not good. He wants too much.

Post the vin and fender tag info.

Ok, I will post as long I get full decode!

I actually remember most of this stuff, but I could use some help on the fender tag characters other than paint and interior.

Besdies the VIN and fender tag all I saw was the emissions sticker. Have not looked for the build sheet yet.

al gore.JPG

fender tag1.JPG

You can get original frame rails pretty easy. I have a couple of sets from A body cars. No need to use repop stuff there.

This is what I got out of it.......

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 340cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift
TIRES: E70x14 Red Side Wall, steel belted
BUILD DATE: October 23.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Red Paint.
OTHER: Black Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
F7: Barracuda Formula S Package
R1: AM Radio

abc OPTIONS:
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

On the UBS section I can't tell if anything is under the B or S.

Some things are not clear.. If you have time make a post of what it reads and I will double check. It clearly IS a 340 Formula S 4 speed car.

To quote Darnell from the movie Christine " You can't polish a turd! " Buy it for parts only, and get a solid body from AZ.,CA. etc.

This is what I got out of it.......

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 340cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift
TIRES: E70x14 Red Side Wall, steel belted
BUILD DATE: October 23.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Red Paint.
OTHER: Black Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
F7: Barracuda Formula S Package
R1: AM Radio

abc OPTIONS:
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

On the UBS section I can't tell if anything is under the B or S.

Some things are not clear.. If you have time make a post of what it reads and I will double check. It clearly IS a 340 Formula S 4 speed car.

Very cool. Thanks! The UBS section looks like it may have "D" or "B" under the "U".

It does have the rain rails but the fender trim is gone except on the 69 fenders. Directionals must've been on the old fenders; none now.

Look At Them Rusty Rails.you Must Live In Taxachusettes.
Soon Duval Patric Is Going To Tax You On That Rust.

Um...don't want to be a downer, but check the front rame rails, rockers, and torsion bar crossover too. I have a feeling they are gonna be shot too. Lots of welding to be done there. If you can weld that will help costs.

It hasn't sold because of price, & work needed. It is a desirable model though.

Good luck.

Thanks all. Keep the comments coming. I have two non-exclusive paths: 1. restoration of entire car or 2. restoration of all usable parts to be used for a second build. Obviously 1. is the preference...

Very cool. Thanks! The UBS section looks like it may have "D" or "B" under the "U".

It does have the rain rails but the fender trim is gone except on the 69 fenders. Directionals must've been on the old fenders; none now.

The Directionals was a guess... Looks like something is under the H on the first line but I can't tell what it is.

Well, it is mine now. Stay tuned for more as I figure out how extensive the rust really is. The car is so complete that even if the chassis is not repairable, I am way ahead for the cost. It has everything from the air cleaner to the AM radio!
:rock:

-
Back