1968 4 speed id numbers

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey guys i am trying to see if a 68 barracuda is matching numbers where can i find the id numbers on the 4 speed box? thanks

Is there a number on the bell also. thanks

Yes, you can have a matching number bell housing. The number would be stamped straight across from the engine stamping behind the driver side (left) head.

Yes, you can have a matching number bell housing. The number would be stamped straight across from the engine stamping behind the driver side (left) head.

I believe the number would only be there if it is an automatic transmission. On 68 engines however , the vin should be stamped there on the block, behind the left head.

The numbers for the gear box are on the right side towards the front on a machined pad about 1x3 inchs long. The information contains Car VIN information and also the gear box build information.

Understand, it will likely not be a full vin, but year stamp, factory of car origin stamp, and the last 6 of vin.
As in the example 68FS340 posted is from his 68 gear box. a simple decode of his is 8=1968 B=Hamtramck and the last 6 of his vin. I was used instead of of 1 on body and engine. Each Factories VIN started at 100001. which makes his the 53,909 car off the Hamtramck line of all models built there that year.

Thanks guys. picking the car up tommorow

-
Back