1968 A-Body suspension question?

-

Mr. PNW

Reaction score
(1.) I just bought a 1968 barracuda and was going to switch to disc brakes. I got the setup from a 74 Dart. While at it I wanted to swap the non-tabbed lower control arms for some "tabbed" LCA so that I could add a stock sway bar. When looking in my 1968 parts manual there isn't one listed for the A-Bodies. What's up, did the 1968 A-bodies not come with a sway bar option? If so, which year did and would bolt right up to my car and these 74 spindle? I'm also going to use the 1978 Cordoba 11.75" rotors, AR Engineering's adapters, Wilwood calipers and 15" rims. Anyone here have this setup.

(2.) It has the 7.25" rear and I would also like to switch to the 4.5" lug pattern like the front and have all LH threads. Does someone make an axle swap for this or is there another option that would look somewhat stock?

Welcome to the board. I guess this is the set up you're talking about:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=208
Hope that link worked. I put it on my 72 Duster, but still haven't got to see how well it works since my Duster is in Hawaii and I'm now in Vegas. It's a simple upgrade and you get to use the big Cordoba rotors. Should have no problem stopping an A-body.

As far as the LCA, just make sure you get a set from a 72 or earlier. The position of the tab on the 73-up LCA are in a different location. You can get a sway bar kit from just about any suspension company, you just might have to drill a couple of hole in the K-member if yours doesn't have them for the sway bar mounts.

For the rear I would look for an 8 3/4 and buy aftermarket axles with the big bolt pattern. Or you could get an 8 1/4 from a 73-up A-body that would just bolt in and already have the big bolt pattern.

If you are using the 73 up disk brakes and a 67-72 sway bar the caliper will hit the sway bar at full lock on the steering.

The fix is to swap sides with the spindles/calipers so the calipers wind up towards the rear of the car.

If you can find a set of LCA with the tab already welded on great but if you can't just weld a piece of 1/8" stock to the bottom of the LCA and attach the sway bar above the tab.

I think my LCAs have the tabs on them and Im about to swap them out.

AdamR said:
I think my LCAs have the tabs on them and Im about to swap them out.

Just curious why would you not want them?
Regardless, if they've never been damaged I would possibly be interested in them if they work with my application.
It just dawned on me, my car is a slant six car which I believe has a different k-member then the V8s.
Would this prevent a stock V8 swaybar setup from working on my car?

The sway bar is only specific to the year range 67-72 or 73-76. Whether it's a \6, SB or BB doesn't matter.

Concerning the bolt pattern. If there is enough meat there on the axle flange have yours redrilled to the bigger pattern. My 8-3/4 had it done yrs. ago and never a problem running a stout 340 and 4:10's. I'm not sure if your smaller 7-1/4 has enough room for doing this but it's worth checking into.

If you are set on using the 7 1/4 rear, the 73 and up 7 1/4s had large bolt pattern axles.
gerty

-
Back