1968 Barracuda data plate decoding?

-

banzaibullitt

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can anyone decode my data plate and VIN? I'm new to MOPARs... All I know is that I think it is a Spring Special.

data tag.JPG

VIN #BH23B8B447172.JPG

Can't vouch as tto the accuracy of this site but here's what I pulled up. May have fat fingered the last line

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 225cid Slant Six
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: D70x14 White Sidewall
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: July 10.
AXLE: Unknown Axle Code
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Medium Dark Turquoise Metallic (Dodge), Surf Turqoise Metallic (Plymouth).
OTHER: Black (Dodge, Plymouth), Formal Black (Chrysler, Imperial) Upper Door Frame Color. Black Horizontal Accent Stripe.

MOLDINGS:
19: Wide Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
E8: Unknown Option
R1: AM Radio
X2: Tinted Windshield Only
Y6: Black Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:

1967-1968 Mopar Fender Tag Decoder, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth (realdash.net)

Last edited:
My recollection is that a Spring Special had a red appliqué across the trunk lid between the aluminum panels (connecting the taillight lenses). Any sign of that?

I have a couple of contributions.

The 9 under the 1 is Custom Sill Moldings. These are the gills and spears, available as a stand alone option, and also was part of the Spring Special package. They are clearly seen on the photo of the car in your avatar.

The 8 under the E is for code 368, Spring Sport Special.

a-6 console
b-4 bucket seats
m-6 driver's outside remote operated mirror.

Here's some more on the Spring Sport Special. You can see the equipment coded on your tag matches with that included on the hardtop.

I can't tell if the vertical bars on your grille are chromed.

The wheels you have were first available in 1970, so not original to your car. But they fit the small lug pattern, look good, and are popular on 1969 and earlier A-Bodies.

Copyof68codes180p6.jpg

68-cuda-equipment-5-jpg.jpg

My recollection is that a Spring Special had a red appliqué across the trunk lid between the aluminum panels (connecting the taillight lenses). Any sign of that?

He had this in his Welcome Wagon post...

Is that the applique?

Screenshot_20211027-225808_Brave.jpg

My Dad installed wheel adapters years ago (1991?), so it has BB pattern 14" wheels that he always liked. I think the original hub caps are in the trunk. I'll post a picture of them.

It looks like the vertical bars on the grill are chrome.

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back