1968 Barracuda fastback..formula S 383/4spd..Restore or not?

-
Looks like a good start for a tube chassis drag car, it already needs 2 frame rails anyhow.

This car was for sale a number of times, and for an extended period of time, possibly by different owners.
The asking was not ridiculous, in fact probably one of the most inexpensive big block second gen around at the time, I tried to get a few friends to buy it, I already have a 67, no takers.

Where are all these people who want these cars restored when they are for sale?

I say do whatever floats your boat.
For me, it was a tunnel ram big block through the hood, modern suspension in the front, jacked up traction bars in the rear, efi, boo hoo to the purists.
It's what I would have got if I could have ordered it brand new, and I would have done the same/similar mods from day 1 to present.

I can appreciate a restored car, if that's what you want/like, but if not, it's your car to enjoy, and that's the whole point to this hobby.

If it were me....

I'd "day 2" it.

It IS a documented BB 4 speed car. That's undeniably cool.

Can you use '75 4 door Swinger frame rails?

Is that the original color? That's a bucket list car and color for me.

If you were close, I might make you an offer.

According to the pictures, and claimed original options, just for reference, this is the "maybe/could be correct" original fender tag codes for this car;

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Sports Hardtop
ENGINE: 383cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift
TIRES: E70x14 Red Sidewall, steel belted
MODEL YEAR: 1968
BUILD DATE: October 19.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Green Interior.
PAINT: Light Green Metallic (Dodge), Mist Green Metallic (Plymouth), Frost Green Metallic (Chrysler, Imperial).
OTHER: Light Green Metallic (Dodge), Mist Green Metallic (Plymouth), Frost Green Metallic (Chrysler, Imperial) Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
19: Wide Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
F7: Barracuda Formula S Package
R1: AM Radio
X1: Tinted Glass (all)

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

test tag.png

Looks turquoise to me.

Yeah, definitely turquoise to me.

Can we see the interior?

They can be anywhere... it was a "no garbage" policy in the assembly plant. It wasn't to help the restoration guy 55 years later. Under carpets, taped to the top of the glove box, stuffed in the headliner, under the carpet, bucket seat backs, etc.
I agree, but these are 2 places I have found them along with in the springs of the lower back seat cushion.

You already answered the question I always ask. If you can do all the work, then it is feasible to restore it without worrying about how much you have in it when you are done. Not having a fender tag will affect the value of the finished car, but unless you want a matching number trailer queen, you probably don't aren't worried about that. Build it however you want.
BUT PLEASE SAVE IT!
I’m trying to get more information from the guy I got it from. Trace the owner history to see if any more information exists. Maybe a previous owner has the fender tag.

The dark green color is an old repaint. The original color looks to be a lighter green. Mist green ff1 or avocado green tt1. The lighter green is evident in the pics.
It has black interior , bench seat
No remote mirror
Tinted glass

C5115C7C-FE8E-4154-B857-0E6BF0BBECB6.jpeg

1849E396-46B4-495B-9376-090D086ACF21.jpeg

D15F8702-0511-4895-A638-14DE0AABA6E2.jpeg

This car was for sale a number of times, and for an extended period of time, possibly by different owners.
The asking was not ridiculous, in fact probably one of the most inexpensive big block second gen around at the time, I tried to get a few friends to buy it, I already have a 67, no takers.

Where are all these people who want these cars restored when they are for sale?

I say do whatever floats your boat.
For me, it was a tunnel ram big block through the hood, modern suspension in the front, jacked up traction bars in the rear, efi, boo hoo to the purists.
It's what I would have got if I could have ordered it brand new, and I would have done the same/similar mods from day 1 to present.

I can appreciate a restored car, if that's what you want/like, but if not, it's your car to enjoy, and that's the whole point to this hobby.
A mini tubbed, frame tied,rollbar added 68 Superstock style with a hemi in it is what floats my boat. I've decided I won't do that to this car. I found another 68 thats more my speed so this one will get stored while I collect parts or sell it.

As they say, they are only original once. With no original engine, transmission, fender tag or build sheet, original has passed a long time ago. I say build it like you want it.

i'm torn, on one hand it's a important, rare car that's a piece of history. they only made so many big block S cars, etx, etx, etx.

but on the other hand, no OG motor or trans is a tough nut to swallow but you follow that up with a crab juice chaser of no fender tag, build sheet and scant history.

i understand that price isn't everything, and ROI or value when you go to sell it isn't the be all, end all. but without provenance, it's just another car, really. if that stuff happens to show up while you collect parts for the build, then maybe that moves the needle in a different direction.

i don't know if i'd go full race car, there's enough cut up cars around for that. i'd probably just build a really nice 4spd big block car with some nice upgrades in a "day two" style, with updated brakes, steering, suspension and chassis, and then absolutely just drive the wheels off it.

Well good for you finding a different car that suits you better. I was completely indifferent do to everything mentioned.

Hopefully all the purists will line up to buy it from you

OK green it was.

Bench seat 4 speed big block A body.

Can't have been too may with that combo.

Store that car not a bad idea. If you can piece it back together being 383 in the VIN an original 4 spd floor hump proving it was a 4spd and original rear torque boxes that car has some value even without fender tag or build sheet.

-
Back