1968 Barracuda first day of production?

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I have a early vin 68 Barracuda.Does anyone know what the first day of productin on 68 Barracuda's? My vin ends in 000189

Looks like they started in August and my build date is 801.So looks like it was built on the first day of production?

That is what I was wondering when I seen this in your (Hate to see it go)thread that your Barracuda was one of the first off the line in 67 when the new 68 Barracudas started production, What Plant was yours built in ?

All 2nd-gen Barracudas were built at Hamtramck, FYI.

That's a low number all right. Anything odd about the car itself? Leftover 67 items?

On the passenger side front seat there is a green inspection tag tied at the seat track.The tag is visable when you get in the car, I can not believe the tag survived all these years without someone removing it.I may find more once I dig into the car more.I think Saturday I will pull the rear seat bottom to look for a build sheet.I will post a pic of the inspection tag soon.

I have a early vin 68 Barracuda.Does anyone know what the first day of productin on 68 Barracuda's? My vin ends in 000189

Take lots of pictures of it. Look for paint marks on the original parts etc... :D

That may have been one of the early pilots (6 weeks before volume production or early production launch car. Some of the parts may have been "soft tooled" and not off production tooling, then that is a more unique car.... :glasses7:

If the latest engineering changes can't be made on the production tool in time for launch, they will start production with "soft tool/prototype" style tooling to get to the desired change level until the production tool can be completed.... Your car may have some of those... :cheers:

First picture you can see the tag near the bottom of the seat.

Attachments

• cuda2 006.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 174
  • cuda2 007.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 167
The previous owner told me this is a 1967 steering wheel or the center was a 1967 part.Does anyone know for sure if this is a 67 part.I know the outside door handles are 1967 parts.

Attachments

• cuda2 016.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 168
  • cuda2 017.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 175
  • cuda2 018.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 173
Thats cool that it made it all those years. I never seen one like that.

First picture you can see the tag near the bottom of the seat.

What is that part number for? That would tell us what it was that they certified for shipping...

That could have been one of those late changes that I mentioned earlier...

Interesting....

The previous owner told me this is a 1967 steering wheel or the center was a 1967 part.Does anyone know for sure if this is a 67 part.I know the outside door handles are 1967 parts.

I've seen some '68 models with that center and others with the soft black center, and I *think* it's because federal safety regulations took effect Jan 1, 1968, car interiors could not have hard/protruding parts that would cause injury in a crash.

-
Back