1968 Barracuda hood on a 1969?

-

Superod

Reaction score
Question might sound a little silly, but I have a 1969 Barracuda i just bought. It came painted and the hood off the car. The hood is a 1968 hood with the vertical humps and slats for the chrome inset pieces. We tried putting the hood on the car and when we tried to close it the back of the hood was too far back, even pushing the hood as far as it would go on the hinges. It was still a good inch too far back. Now I'm wondering, is this because they made some change in 69 to the hood/cowl area or something? Is it just a matter of having the right hinges? I also looked at aftermarket hoods and interestingly enough, the 67 and 68 hoods are one part number and the 69 is another, separate part. Can anyone shed some light on this? To add to the confusion, I saw a pic online of a 1969 with the 1968 hood on it. So I have no idea what's going on now. Next step is to remove the hinges and see if it fits without them. In the meantime, I wanted to ask here to see if anyone could shed some light on this.

Thanks! Btw, this is my first post here.

Welcome. The 69 is way different from the 67/68. I cant imagine it being anywhere close without some serious fab work. But i could be wrong, it's been known to happen!

you need the 67/8 header panel to go with the 67/8 hood.

the 69 header panel has a "hump" in the middle which corresponds with the 69 hood.

BTW: A 69 barracuda hood (hood only ) is also the same hood as a 73-6 dart or dart sport

the hinges and cowls are the same on all A-body cars 67-76. Get a 67/8 header panel

another note is that if you change the header panels ....the grilles are also different ....67/8 will pretty much bolt up in place of each other but 69 grilles have a different shape and contour.

if the car is all 69 except the hood then it would be by far easiest to get a 69 or 73-6 dart/sport hood.

you need the 67/8 header panel to go with the 67/8 hood.

the 69 header panel has a "hump" in the middle which corresponds with the 69 hood.

BTW: A 69 barracuda hood (hood only ) is also the same hood as a 73-6 dart or dart sport

the hinges and cowls are the same on all A-body cars 67-76. Get a 67/8 header panel

On the outside they are the same....but Dart ones have some changes underneath and have "crumple zones" in the frame but yes, they will bolt right on.

Yep!!!

Then more! 67,68,69 are really 1 year only cars. They each have differences that do not work with each other!

Apparently I did read the whole post! Get a 69 hood or the later beak Dart hood. There are even more issues with headlight buckets And grilles then you want to deal with!

Guys I can't thank you enough. I'm giggling with amazement at the knowledge you have. Thank you!

-
Back