1968 Barracuda vin number

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
hey there guys and ghouls would a 1968 barracuda have two vin numbers on the body i know there is one under the glass on the dash but where would and would they have another one stamped?. need to find two vin numbers to get it back on the road for a vin check. i have only found one vin number. not looking for build sheet numbers only vin thank you!

68 was the last year before they started stamping the year,assembly plant , and the last six of the VIN on the core support and trunk lip. In 68 you had the VIN number on the dash and the Year,assembly plant anb the order number of the car that was six numbers. The last six on the core support was not the last 6 of the vin. Can you make out what I mean here? This order number was on the data plate also.

Driver side radiator core support and driver side trunk lip under weatherstrip. If your lucky the broadcast sheet is commonly found under front seat and rear seat back in between foam/burlap and springs.

68 was the last year before they started stamping the year,assembly plant , and the last six of the VIN on the core support and trunk lip. In 68 you had the VIN number on the dash and the Year,assembly plant anb the order number of the car that was six numbers. The last six on the core support was not the last 6 of the vin. Can you make out what I mean here? This order number was on the data plate also.
yes i understand. so there is no two vins on the car. there is a new Law in California which just passed in october and to get a vin identification you must have two vin numbers on the car not just one anymore. which does not make sense at all

Driver side radiator core support and driver side trunk lip under weatherstrip. If your lucky the broadcast sheet is commonly found under front seat and rear seat back in between foam/burlap and springs.
thanks for the reply but i need vin numbers, the raditor support and trunk dont match with the vin only can be matched on the build sheet which CHP does not have

yes i understand. so there is no two vins on the car. there is a new Law in California which just passed in october and to get a vin identification you must have two vin numbers on the car not just one anymore. which does not make sense at all
In 1968 I don't believe there is two locations. But since they came this way, there should be a way around it.

VIN on dash, and data plate are about the only guaranteed places to find it. They did stamp it on the core support and of the trunk lip but that was new so operators didn't always change, or know how to change the numbers for a true numbers matching car. Good luck & hope you have luck proving the VIN. That's one reason I'll never live in CA.

That's the brutal situations that the"insurance fraudsters" on here will not address! The early 68's used 67 body parts and at the door bucks screws were installed where the ID tag was to be installed for the 67 year. 68's used Von numbers on the radiator support and trunk frame. Even if you have all the factory numbers the number police will NOT accept the fender tag which is screwed on and the instrument panel frame which can be taken off. It's not about your car it's about another persons interpretation of it. Understand that when you insure it it will be scrutinized even further should you be involved in an accident.

The 68 Cuda I had it was on the trunk flange lip under the rubber weatherstrip

There seems to be confusion on VIN numbers and order numbers.
On all three of my 68's there is ONE VIN number location, the dash plate by windshield.
The numbers on the radiator core support, truck opening lip, fender tag, stamped on the bellhousing, transmission case, engine block are all ORDER numbers.
Roy is correct, 1969 model year was the first year for VIN numbers stamped throughout the car.

There is absolutely no confusion on my part. The problem lies with laws that cater to the insurance lobby. If this person goes to the DMV and gets someone that "goes by the book" he will have problems,and that is from experience. 67 had ID plate in the drivers door buck, 68 had vehicle order numbers stamped on the radiator support and on the drivers side trunk frame. Vehicle identification numbers on the fender tag and instrument panel frame.

There seems to be confusion on VIN numbers and order numbers.
On all three of my 68's there is ONE VIN number location, the dash plate by windshield.
The numbers on the radiator core support, truck opening lip, fender tag, stamped on the bellhousing, transmission case, engine block are all ORDER numbers.
Roy is correct, 1969 model year was the first year for VIN numbers stamped throughout the car.
Thou I only have one 68 Barracuda, I agree with 68original, The only location of a vin number on my car is the dash VIN plate. Every other number is the order number.

hey there guys and ghouls would a 1968 barracuda have two vin numbers on the body i know there is one under the glass on the dash but where would and would they have another one stamped?. need to find two vin numbers to get it back on the road for a vin check. i have only found one vin number. not looking for build sheet numbers only vin thank you!
If you have the registration or pink slip I don't see what the problem is

Partial vin should be on the engine behind the left (driver side head) and transmission. If the original components are still in the car.

This has been well documented in many other posts over the years.

Last edited:
Partial vin should be on the engine behind the left (driver side head) and transmission. If the original components are still in the car.

This has been well documented in many other posts over the years.

Here you go...

1968 vin stamping.JPG

oh cool that is a good find the only problem is the engine is not original, the transmission i am not sure. man i hope iam not screwed

The best advice I can give you is have your car as complete as possible and talk to older guys that have had to deal with the older cars that do not have three VIN's on the vehicle. GM and Ford guys would be the best sources. Take it to the person that they suggest and take all the paperwork that you have connected to the vehicle

as to a new california law requiring 2 VIN numbers on cars - such a law has to regulate vehicles produced AFTER the law goes into effect. i would check with the division of motor vehicles about this new law. i suspect that it applies to "newly constructed" vehicles wishing to be licensed after the law takes effect. "classic cars" in california should not be affected by this law as there are all kinds of things on "old" cars that do not comply with modern vehicle requirements. the only time "things from the past" are made "illegal" in the present is if they present "an immediate threat to the health or safety of the general public."

-
Back