1968 Dart Build

-
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Been on the forum for a short time but have found tons of inspiration so far.
Finally have the time & room for a new project and have been in love with the 68 Dart since I was a kid and saw the Hemi Dart's and Cuda's.
Found a very original 270 last weekend for a song and had to grab it.
Trying to decide which way to go with the build. Factory restoration or Hemi clone.
What do you guys think?

tempImagerOQK12.png
tempImageJCy27F.png

tempImageBJ70GF.png
tempImagekhuR29.png

tempImageqoeSM2.png
tempImageAjj3ry.png

Last edited:
i'd do a body restoration first, if possible a bit at a time while keeping the car roadworthy. then you'll both have time to drive it and time to make the decision whether to modify or restore while enjoying it.
if a car stays roadworthy with only shortish breaks it's much easier to keep up your enthusiasm for the project.
neil.

With that car if one would not do a full race drag car, I would be inclined to go Gen3 Hemi street warrior route.

So your budget can accommodate a "restoration" or Hemi clone build?
Can anyone's?

i'd do a body restoration first, if possible a bit at a time while keeping the car roadworthy. then you'll both have time to drive it and time to make the decision whether to modify or restore while enjoying it.
if a car stays roadworthy with only shortish breaks it's much easier to keep up your enthusiasm for the project.
neil.
Not really looking to use it as my daily in it's current condition.

With that car if one would not do a full race drag car, I would be inclined to go Gen3 Hemi street warrior route.
Now we're talking!!!!

Love those '68 Darts in ALL flavors!!!!
Absolutely!!!

Not really looking to use it as my daily in it's current condition.
i didn't say daily, i said roadworthy so you 'can' enjoy it. too many cars get stripped fully apart (the easy bit as you no doubt know) and then overwhelm their owners with the amount of work in front of them. they then can end up in the classifieds as an unfinished project. not saying that's you but just be prepared if you do go the full strip down route. :thumbsup:

A friend of mine said to me that I won't be happy until I have exactly what I wanted to begin with.
He's absolutely right, almost all of my past builds have morphed into my bucket list rides.
A 1968 Dodge Dart Hemi has been on my bucket list since I was 17, I'm 61 now and it's time.
This will not be a quick build by any means but what the hell, you only live once.
This is what I saw when I was 17, and damn it, I'm going for it.
I'll post as much as I can and probably ask a lot of questions.
Thanks.

1968 LO23 Hemi Dart.jpg

OK...most guys know exactly what they want, then they build it and are disappointed.
You need to do some research, look over a number of cars and if you can ask your buddies for a ride or drive a few and see what you like. Then make a plan and stick to it.
Wait a minute...nobody ever does that!

In my 43 years of owning everything from GTX convertibles to 440 Cuda's, I've done a few full builds.
Nothing scares me anymore and nothing keeps me from building what I want.
With that said, I will be tearing the Dart apart this weekend. If there's anything you see that you or someone you know wants, let me know.
Everything will be going, a/c system, seats, rear defroster system, engine & trans, etc...
I will be putting it all up for sale.

This is going to be a fun build, I can't wait to tear into it.
Thanks a lot for your input everyone.

Good day,
If you could please take some pictures of the rear window defogger from the package tray side/top. I'm looking at installing this system in my wife's 68' GTS. And if you're at looking to part ways with defogger system I may be interested.

Thank you for your time, and looking forward to your build!!

I've been out of the Mopar scene for a few years and I'm not sure what some of these things are worth.
I'm not looking to rip anyone off but I don't want to get ripped off either.
Any help would be appreciated.

Complete a/c system
Front and back seats
225 engine and/or trans
Rear defroster system
Rear
Front k-member

Just a few parts off the top of my head.
Thanks

-
Back