1968 Dart GTS Tail Panel

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
Just saw a set of tail panels on FABO for sale, one for a GT and one for a GTS. Seems like Dodge used a variety of tail panels on their different Dart models from 67-69, so I am confused. My 68 GT has the all-silver reflective panel. I was looking at the panels for sale, then started looking at images of GTS models, and they do all appear to have the blacked out rear panel. Is this the only panel GTS models came with in 68? Curious, as I am going to clone a GTS and may now need to swap out the tail panel to the correct one. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 68dodge49263-1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 9,726
  • 7241879.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,235
You are correct. The GT was finished like yours while the GTS was more blacked out. They are the same panel except for the way they are finished. They were unique to the model of car they were on. If you are going to make your GT into a GTS clone you will need to change the treatment on your finish panel and perhaps your grill.

If that finish panel is as good as it looks DO NOT get rid of it. Redo it to be a GTS panel!!

Wow. That looks like a nice panel. At least that half of it. GTS clone or not, I'd be STRONGLY tempted to not even touch that one at all. Seriously.

I'll have to look into the painting thing. Didn't get a close enough look at the GTS panel to see if it was just a color change and not a panel design change. Wondering what the difference is between the grilles? Don't see any obvious differences. What do I need to be looking for? By the way, does anyone repop the GTS door panel emblems? Hard little suckers to find. Some average ones with pitting and broken studs just went for 75 on ebay.

No good pictures of grille but it has same treatment as yours Dartman.

Wow! That is one sharp Dodge, sir. Very well done. I see the tail panel now and think this will be a relatively simple job. Thanks for the pics.

mine looks the same as 68 hemi's tail panel. My car is an early production car. Don't know where his sit's in production but mine was built 8/27/67.

Just saw a set of tail panels on FABO for sale, one for a GT and one for a GTS. Seems like Dodge used a variety of tail panels on their different Dart models from 67-69, so I am confused. My 68 GT has the all-silver reflective panel. I was looking at the panels for sale, then started looking at images of GTS models, and they do all appear to have the blacked out rear panel. Is this the only panel GTS models came with in 68? Curious, as I am going to clone a GTS and may now need to swap out the tail panel to the correct one. Thanks for your help.

This is a correct 68 GTS Panel

View attachment Black Finish Panel.jpg

-
Back