1968 Dart steering column length Grew

-

Mrpatel

512Dart
Reaction score
look for some ideas on what happened to my column length. I went to put the column back in today and it’s a good 2”-3” longer at the u-joint. Are these solid steel shaft or does the center slide in. If you look at the picture, you can see where the bearing sat. Can I tap this is with a mallet? The pic with out the intake is the before, the other is where I am at now. Interested in the distance from the outer tube to the end of the solid bar / shaft. Thanks Andrew

48675877-3D06-439E-ACDF-9CAF9695A35F.jpeg

2A53ADFF-C787-4DF4-AA08-E755D7DC1610.jpeg

Question, did you change steering boxes? Do you have the steering wheel on? You can loosen the bolts on the inside from the firewall I think 5, and the 3 that hold the column to the dash. Only loosen and then see if you can push the column to mate with the the box.

may have beoken the plastic pin trying to yanm it out while removong

That maybe true, I forgot about it. Good one mbaird, Have you just pulled on the shaft to see if it will extend?

Same steering box. Just wondering if I can tap on the end of it to collapse it or if it is a solid bar / rod from the steering wheel to the steering box. Thanks

It is a collapsible two piece rod. Push on it to see if it will shorten. There is a couple of plastic sliders in the rod assembly.

Man! Thanks so much. It kicked my butt for the last 3 hours. Thought it was a solid bar. Beer time! Andrew

Apparently not. I have way forward now. I have my old coupler set up to measure against the new flaming river set up. I can post a pic after if anyone is interested.

image.jpg

Please post pics, I am considering one of these in place of the grease box coupler myself...

Please post pics, I am considering one of these in place of the grease box coupler myself...
Will do. Probably tomorrow. I am doing this to eliminate the adapter / extender that I borrowed from a friend and it eliminates one more joint. I have no use for the flaming river coupler on the left side picture. Had I known the above, I may have been ok. The set up I am now using is PN FR1505M that you cut to length.

Apparently not. I have way forward now. I have my old coupler set up to measure against the new flaming river set up. I can post a pic after if anyone is interested.

View attachment 1715271114

I did this conversion on my Fastback. I used the short joint to the side and welded a section of splined shaft into the column tube. This allowed for more clearance for headers and smoother steering.

The stock coupler allows for movement between the steering box and the rigid upper column mount while driving. The body is constantly flexing while driving changing the length and if you replace it with a fixed length shaft it could cause problems down the road. (Nice pun there)
It's similar in concept to a splined driveshaft and transmission output shaft.
Mine works perfectly. Install and forget.

-
Back