1968 Dart

-

Panther68

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the automotive restoration scene. About three years ago, I fell in love with the '68 dart while watching Horsepower TV and from then on I had to have one. I searched and searched and could not find any that were remotely in my area (with-in a day's drive). Finally, I found one close enough, and the price was right, so I hit the road. Lucky for me, the is a very minimal amount of rust! Unfortunately for me, the slant six was mistreated and had a big hole in the block. This past year, on my journey to get it running again, I was totally screwed when I bought a "stock" 440 w/ torqueflight 727 from this guy who seemed to know his stuff. Sure enough, when I turned the engine over on the stand to pull the oil pan, I found EVERTHING destroyed. NOTHING is good, from the pistons to the block. Lucky for me, I have a good friend who bought a 68 dart a few months after me (which he bought in running condition) sold me my 273. Since then I have taken it down to a short block and beefed it up a bit. And yesterday, my transmission, 904, rebuild was completed. Currently, I am just tieing up the odds and ends to finally getting to drive my car for the first time!!! Wish me Luck! 8)

welcome to the board. sorry to hear about your misfortunes :(

my 68 came from the factory with a 273, good motor from what I hear.

Running a 360 / 904 combination at the moment, makes for a nice scooter.

Welcome. I'm beginning to think these 68s grow on trees lol
And yes, the 273 is an excellent motor

Welcome to the best a-body forum. Gotta love those 68's. I got a mildly modded 340 in mine. Getting the trans rebuilt next week and I'll be ready to cruise in style.

OK, GUYS... BY POPULAR DEMAND, I HAVE TAKEN PICS OF MY CAR BEFORE AND AFTER I PUT THE MOTOR IN THIS PAST WEEKEND. BUT THE MOTOR AND TRANNY ARE BOTH IN, NOW I JUST HAVE TO PUT TOGETHER ALL OF THE LITTLE ODDS AND ENDS!!! I AM SOOOO EXCITED. MIND YOU I HAVE HAD THE CAR FOR ALMOST A YEAR AND HAVEN'T DRIVEN IT!

Welcome aboard! You need to get some pictures up....we love pictures! Here is a shot of my wife's 1970 factory FM3 Dart.

DSC00749.jpg

-
Back