1968 Dodge Dart 270

-

CARS

Reaction score
Here is my A-body. A 1968 Dart 270 with a 225 /6, 904 on the column.
Nothing other than a great running car at the moment.
I have big plans for the engine so I have been working on the suspension and brakes first (I usually do it the other way like everyone else does but I like to drive it as is till I get all the engine parts assembled).

The rough draft of the plan is to have a Fuel Injected, Turbo Charged 225, fueled with Ethanol. The reason is the E85 has a temenduos cooling effect and around 105 octaine which I just think makes since for a turbo engine. I am a bodyman by trade, i've never programmed a fuel injection system before but I have re-built and swapped engines before. I have basic tuning abilities and a good network of friends that are willing to help. (They might just be watching me to see my goals go up in smoke, but isn't that what freinds are for?)

The front suspension is all rebuilt and will be adding disc brakes to the front when the new drivetrain gets installed. I still need to find a rear-end for it so the bolt pattern will be the same as the front. I might try a 8 1/4" out of a '70's A-body for a while till I find a reasonalbly priced 8 3/4" (or do I dare say 9" here?).

I will replace all the wiring with a painless kit (or the equivilent) so I don't burn the thing to the ground.

And there are a million other "dreams" but so far that is the plan. Here are some of the pics I took when I brought the car home in May '06. It's my first MOPAR but thanks to my customers, not the first one I have tore down to nothing and re-built!

It is rock solid and needs paint as you can see. The problem is after 8 to 10 hours of painting other peoples cars I don't even want to dig into the body. I like the "Rat Machine" idea for now. We used to call them sleepers but when I mentioned sleeper to my kids they just invisioned the back of a big-rig!

Thanks for having me!!!

Chris

100_2121.jpg

100_2124.jpg

100_2125.jpg

Chris, thats a nice looking car. Some good potential there. I always like that model Mopar. Good luck with it. Mike

Here is my A-body. A 1968 Dart 270 with a 225 /6, 904 on the column.

The rough draft of the plan is to have a Fuel Injected, Turbo Charged 225, fueled with Ethanol. The reason is the E85 has a temenduos cooling effect and around 105 octaine which I just think makes since for a turbo engine. I am a bodyman by trade, i've never programmed a fuel injection system before but I have re-built and swapped engines before. I have basic tuning abilities and a good network of friends that are willing to help. (They might just be watching me to see my goals go up in smoke, but isn't that what freinds are for?)

Chris

You might want to reconsider, the 225 does not have a lot of ptential, even maxed out, you will spend 3x what a good small block will cost. If you are doing it to be different, then thats cool. But I know someone that went and built his /6 to the gills with fuel injection, it cost him $12K and he ran a 15.0 in the 1/4. He is now getting ready to swap in a big block. Even with all the things you will need besides the engine, you will still spend half of what the /6 will cost you.

My recommendation is to swap in a 360. You can get the Mopar LA360 short block for around $1300, swap on some Magnum heads, Eddy intake, Eddy carb, a nice cam, headers, engine swap kit, and a new TCI trans, this combo would be good for 400 hp and cost you around $6k

Something to think about.

You might want to reconsider, the 225 does not have a lot of ptential, even maxed out, you will spend 3x what a good small block will cost. If you are doing it to be different, then thats cool. But I know someone that went and built his /6 to the gills with fuel injection, it cost him $12K and he ran a 15.0 in the 1/4. He is now getting ready to swap in a big block. Even with all the things you will need besides the engine, you will still spend half of what the /6 will cost you.
Something to think about.

Ya, and if I was really smart I would just go buy a Magnum or Challenger when they come out#-o

Other than the Mega Squirt controller almost everything is used or handmade. Your really going to give me greif for my HP goal of 350! I may go through a few short blocks but so far they are plentiful. All those GTS clones my customers have made seem to have a slant in them that I can have for removing it. If they only knew what they were getting rid of... The leaning tower of power!!! Boost it untill she blows then swap in another one and lower the boost a bit and try again.

I know it sounds like I am talking out my @ss but I think it can be done. I just need alittle time and some more $$$. I really think I can push the envelope on this one as long as E85 is readily avalible (as it is now). I am going to have one of the /6.org gurus do the head for me (he has a reputation of insane flow numbers), Erson is has a dozen or so cam profiles and had colaborated with another of the / gurus, and custom pistons are avalible if I keep burning the stock ones up.

I am looking at this project not as a lofty goal, I am looking at it as engine development. Just like any other aftermarket company I am going to have to trial and error this thing untill it works or I just live with the results.

Is it the cheapest way to go, no. But fun and challenging.

-
Back