1968 Dodge Dart how hard to install a headliner?

-

USAJon

Maryland U.S.A.
Reaction score
so im wondering how hard it is to insatll a headliner..
myself.
local shops want $400-$500 just for labor..

Its a tedious job but not hard. I believe I took half a day on my first one. You can find instructions online on how to install them. I don't know if A bodies are the same but on my E body I started from the back and worked my way forwards. There is no way I'd pay someone $400 to do it.

Upholstery guy down here said you need to pull the windshield. Don't know, Jon. Google "install 68 dart headliner"

You don't have to pull the windshield to install the headliner......but if it's out, it'll be a helluva lot easier to deal with!

If you can, take digital pics of the old headliner as it comes down so you get a good idea of where everything goes when the new one goes up.

First, make darn good and sure you install the rods in the new headliner in EXACTLY the same order they came out of your old headliner. Have the two wire hooks that attach the rear rod to the body handy and within easy reach.

Then...start at the rear of the roof, center the fabric and carefully hook the cloth over the metal tangs. Place the two wire hooks to the rear rod and hook them in the body. Then pull the center of the front edge of the headliner taught and secure it on the tangs above where the interior rear view mirror would be. Don't pull tooooo awful tight, but do pull it enough that no slack shows in the middle.

Go back to the rear. Work the cloth onto the tangs working out from the center on each side a little ways until the back edge is secured. Move to the front again working out from the center both directions until the front edge is secured. Then work on the sides, again working from the center outwards towards the front and rear.

Personally, I prefer to install the trim around the edges(all four sides) before working the wrinkles out by using a heat gun and GENTLY heating small areas until the fabric relaxes and the wrinkles disappear.

It's always a good idea to keep the old headliner handy while you're doing all of this because when you have the new one stretched, you will need to locate all the holes needed to install the shoulder belt clips, dome light assembly, sunvisor brackets, and rear view mirror. It easier to locate these screw holes if you use a sharp pointed awl and gingerly "search" for the screw holes in the perforations of the new cloth close to where the old ones are located on the old cloth.

Their are three keys to doing a headliner....patience...patience....and more patience.

Good Luck!

Rick

That's some great advise, Rick. I have a new headliner for my 68 Dart and I think you just helped me out a whole bunch. Thanks!

..........It's always a good idea to keep the old headliner handy while you're doing all of this because when you have the new one stretched, you will need to locate all the holes needed to install the shoulder belt clips, dome light assembly, sunvisor brackets, and rear view mirror. It easier to locate these screw holes if you use a sharp pointed awl and gingerly "search" for the screw holes in the perforations of the new cloth close to where the old ones are located on the old cloth.

Their are three keys to doing a headliner....patience...patience....and more patience.

Good Luck!

Rick

A long, thin sewing needle works very well if you have to hunt around for a mounting hole. It gives you a lot of reach and leaves a hole that is very difficult to detect when you are all done. Especially with the textured headliners that many of these cars have.

I did my Darts headliner my self. Wasnot hard at all just takes time. Do it when it is hot out, it will strech better that way.

moparmusclemagazine.com has a step by step article for replacing the headliner on a dart. it even has pics. if i knew how to copy and paste ,i would have. i just googled how to install headliner on 68 dodge. hope this helps. im in the same boat, only for a 65 dart.

-
Back