1968 Formula s 340 Here we go again

-

johnnycuda

JohnnyCuda's 68
Reaction score
Hey guys, Well bought another p code 340 4 Speed car. This one is Rusty!
what was i thinking!
Some of you saw it in the Forsale thread
I’m sure.
“Wrong Trim tag car green”
Here it is leaving Michigan Today.
When guys look at it here in Tucson they are gonna be like was it parked in acid? Lol
Pretty Rusted. Lower Quarters, doors and fenders, rear Valance needs help.
Plan is to make it a driver.
Needs Front brake leak fixed
Passenger Exhaust leak
Tail pipes missing
Missing factory Air cleaner and valve covers.

IMG_4206.png

IMG_4208.png

IMG_4200.png

I like those Fast Backs... 340 4spd makes it that much better... Hopefully the important stuff is solid.... You know.. things like frame rails, suspension... Minor stuff...

So what is the deal with the vin number/fender tag issues?

So what is the deal with the vin number/fender tag issues?
The trim tag on the car is from a Bh23 the vin# is fine. Sombody either put the wrong one at the Factory or somewhere down the line somebody wanted a formula s trim tag and switched it.

Surprisingly enough, the reverse lights work when in reverse on the four speed.
Slapped the nose on. Missing a lot of hardware cleaned out the interior.
Passenger side valve cover was leaking took valve cover off. There’s no gasket I think possibly the previous owners swipe the valve covers and put those on prior to sale?
I like the cast valve covers anybody know what they are? No markings on them that i saw.
Also was trying to figure out what this intake and carburetor was off of attached is a pic of the numbers.
Intake 3-30-72? 6-2146?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_4552.jpeg

IMG_4473.jpeg

IMG_4472.jpeg

IMG_4412.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Look for the fender tag on the back side of the dash under the glove box (maybe the put it the glove box). I have found a lot of stuff in the dash.
Take the back off the bucket seats off and look for the build sheet.

8F3FE1F3-E73E-4EAF-9167-B874B0CD4141.jpeg

What a great daily driver. This will be a fun car to drive. Take to the store and with no worries.
Yes sir!
Hey Dave can i put a 26 rad in place of the 22? She sprang a leak first real warm up yesterday.
someone used two part epoxy on the seem. Because Nobody in this town repairs radiator was gonna have to buy an aluminum. Until i can find someone to fix it. Very top seem split!

My car was from Michigan. Yours is a "diamond in the rough" Possibilities are endless

View attachment 1716267427
Yup one of my fav cars as it was my First car bought for $400 early 80’s. Yours has a great stance.
My car may be too far gone for restoration, although anything can be fixed. I don’t think I’m going to restore it, just going to make a driver for now.
I bought it for $6500 delivered so not a major investment yet.
and it does have the original drive train. Minus intake & carb and incorrect trim tag.

So I got a good and warm yesterday for the first time and the top of the radiator seem is been butchered with some two-part epoxy and nobody in my town does radiator repair and I’m not buying a $2500 Glenray for this thing so until I find somebody to fix it I guess I’m gonna have to try and fix it myself or get one of those crappy aluminum jobs for 150 bucks oh well

I was finally able to get the bolts off the front seats and pull them out today after soaking them for two days and they finally came out, pulled the carpet out.
Yes, she’s rusty no surprise but she still gonna be fun. We’re gonna patch her up as best we can and beat the **** out of it conservatively.

IMG_4596.jpeg

IMG_4602.jpeg

I was going to try and clean them and maybe reuse them for now but the front pretty tore up if I put mats in there it will cover it for now. I have to see how clean it comes. If it stinks it’s going in the garbage I might save until I get the new carpet for measuring purposes, but I usually don’t need the old one.

IMG_4594.jpeg

I was finally able to get the bolts off the front seats and pull them out today after soaking them for two days and they finally came out, pulled the carpet out.
Yes, she’s rusty no surprise but she still gonna be fun. We’re gonna patch her up as best we can and beat the **** out of it conservatively.

View attachment 1716267508

View attachment 1716267509
Car probably has windshield leak and/or wiper pivots and/or clogged cowl drains. My car had leaky windshield and leaky wiper pivots early in its life and a year ago finally got around to doing full floor replacement. Luckily same floor as a Duster so usually in stock....

-
Back