1968 HEMI HOOD SCOOP

-

STROKER340

Reaction score
Getting ready to install scoop on my dart and was wondering what everybody uses for the front supports on this style? Was wondering if they
are available someplace or if people are fabricating their own. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I used brass tubing from the hardware store and all-thread with an acorn nut on top and self locking nut underneath, My scoop is metal and not fiberglass and i didnt want it to be balloning up and down at speed especially because I have lites in my scoop too

I made mine (4 of them) on the lathe out of 3/8" stainless bar stock. Used slot head 1/4"-20 stainless bolts to secure them on both sides. :salut:

You had better put SOMETHING in there because if you don't you'll have a nice fiberglass parachute on your hood. I like the fact that most of us that have these scoops get to find out that little tidbit of info the hard way. I never knew why the bars were thereuntil I got the scoop on the car and drove it - oops! That was almost bad. The real question is how many bars are actually supposed to be there. I've seen 1 to 4. Most I see use three, mine has four - I thought it looked a little more balanced- but I've seen early super stockers that only had one or two - looks kind of bad but I guess it kept the scoop from tearing the hood off the car. :scratch:

2 doesnt look right. I had 2 on my car. Added a third.

When I first put the scoop on without the supports the entire car shook on the high way. The hood hinge loosend and the hood spring popped off.

does anyone want an 'extended' hemi hood scoop,? and a 69 cuda hood with a hemi scoop glassed on, they are both just sitting here, it's cowl induction hoods all the way from now one!! Ouch I sit and wait for all the bad comments to fly!
But back to hemi sccops I'd go with 4 supports on the hemi scoop once you start going fast you'll see the front of that thing trying to tear itself off the hood!

I, for one, can testify to the fact that that scoop is capable of getting ahold of some air! It actually pulled hard enough on the hood that I was thinking it might pull the dzus fasteners through the hood. I put the supports in and lo and behold the problem went away. If there is any wind at all you dont want to just leave the hood sitting on the car (parked) because the wind WILL take it off for you. For all you"And how did you figure that out?" guys... I had it happen before I had the fasteners on it. everything was still in primer and I was taking a moment to cheese :D on the whole deal, and the gentle summer breeze blew the hood onto the roof of the car! Nothhing got hurt, but I wasn't about to try again - it got fasteners that day. And don't you just love the grime it catches and puts on top of the motor?

i know the feeling my sixpackhood has taken some flying leasons to! so now i always keep the pins where they belong!

-
Back