1968 or not?

-

mrose

Reaction score
I just purchased a restored 1968 Barracuda.
The rear trunk trim panel and tail lights need replaced.
Most of the 1968 peices I see show the the trunk trim peice and lights different than mine.
I see the ones with the back up lights sourounding the tailights.
Mine has the back up lights in separate bezels on the splash pan below the bumper, and the trunk panel looks the one on the 1969's. Did they use both designs in 1968 or when restored did they put the 1969 trim on my 1968?

All 3 years of 2nd gen barracudas had a 1 year only tail light/trunk trim combo. 68 hasa very unique tail light/reverse light combo. 67 and 69 both had reverse lights on the lower valance.

68 tail lights have the red in the center and back up lights in u-shape.

67 & 69 have u-shaped red lenses. 67 doesn't have back up lights in the tail lights as they are mounted in the rear valence...

The side markers tell a story too; 67 has none, 68s are round,69s are rectangular.
There are a couple of places where the VIN no is stamped in the body. The first is on the rad core-support,drivers side,top, visible from a standing position. The second is under the rubber trunk-lid seal. drivers side, visible from a standing position, leaning against the LR quarter. You have to peel the rubber back, from the transverse rail that crosses over from side to side.Its within a foot from the corner where it turns to the rear.
The front grillworks are also year specific, but with a bit of work can be swapped. Generally its easiest to swap over everything.
The 69s had a beak-nose,and share hoods with the 73 Dart. The hoods on the 67 and 68 appear to be the same.
The lettering is also different.The 67 had plymouth written wall to wall on the nose piece. The 68s had a small plymouth badge on the drivers front corner. 69s had nothing at all.
There are other differences.
Yeah some pics would sure be nice

I know for a fact that 68's have the shipping order number stamped in the rad support, not the vin. 69's should be vin since the fender tags and stamps changed in 69.

-
Back