[WANTED] 1969 340 water pump pulley

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
the 2951836 is a 1970 pulley
the 2946732 is a 1969 pulley

20161204_082501.jpg
20161204_082415.jpg
No numbers on it i could find. See if this looks like what you need.

Just for reference. These pics are of the original pulleys from my 69 Dart 340. It has power steering as you can see it has the double groove crank pulley. There are no part numbers on either pulley. It appears by this thread that there were two different diameter water pump pulleys. 6-1/2" and 6-7/8". I just checked the 69 parts book and they show a different part number for A/C cars. #2463332 Most likely that part had a different diameter?

100_3942.JPG

100_3946.JPG

100_3944.JPG

Last edited:
That looks like a 69 to me, 70 is different. That's your pulley

Here is the whole story. I have a 68 dart that came with no motor. I got a 69 340 that only came with the crank pulley. The crank pulley on the motor is a 3614378. The machine shop that did my engine replaced my old cast style water pump with a shiny new aluminum pump. This appears to be a pump for a later model small block. The pulley that should work with the 3614378 crank pulley and the new style water pump is a 2951836 which is for 70 and up motors. I can't tell what the alignment is for sure because I don't have a water pump pulley to put on. So I am giving my best guess that the WP pulley would be the one that fits the 70 and up. I do know from other posts that the listed crank and pump numbers do go together.

Does your front cover have timing marks on it, drivers side 70 up, passenger side 68 - 69, bolt on timing marks 67 back, is the mark on the balancer right for your cover? Water pump needs to be correct for the front cover or your timing marks will be covered up by the lower hose.

Also with the 70 up water pump you will probably have to go 70 up alt brackets, they are different and trying to match pulleys is a pain in the arse!
Good luck

Well here's your answers. the timing marks are on the drivers side and lower rad hose outlet is on the passenger side. I think this pump is for the later pulley set up. Crank pulley is not installed in this photo. Engine is now installed in the car.

Engine.jpg

Engine 2.jpg

Your 69 340 motor will not use the w/pump pulley in the above post's, as they are for smallblocks using the factory cast iron w/p. You will need the 1970 up pulley's with a factory aluminum w/pump, as the 70-up w/p pulley is a different shape altogether. I may have what you need, but will need some time to look.

I bought a New Cat iron water pump from Moparmat2000 which is coming and That is probably what I will have to install. I just measured the 3614378 crank that came with the engine and it is 3 1/8 inch tall x 7 1/4 inch diameter. It is a double grove pulley.

I found a post from Chrisf from 13 mar 2011 for the following ad

"crank and water pump pullies. matched set off the same engine. 3614378 and 2951836 they fit 70-up non air conditioned small blocks.

6 7/8"od single groove water pump and 7 1/4"od crank. two groove. 3" deep on both."

We have established that my engine is for a 70 and up by the timing mark location ( I can't remember the casting date but it was 69).

I think I will have to install the alternator and crank pulley and see how things line up to know which one I need using the reference from the pulley ID thread link above

A lesson to all... Don't buy an unassembled car, even from someone who says everything is there, and don't buy an incomplete engine.

I would add, it isn't buying an incomplete engine that is the problem. Rather it searching for parts based on one only criteria. In this case "it is a 1969" , when in fact the engine is outfitted as a 1970 engine. The car it is going is has little bearing at that point. Understanding the differences between years and models, takes education, and sometimes that comes at the expense of buying incorrect parts, or impulsively buying something on 'assumptions' or the word of someone else who hasnt seen what you are building. Understand the whole mechanism and a desired outcome, one will be happy.
That being said, no one has mentioned that the radiator outlets will be the next mating issue to resolve. The alternator has already been forced into the discussion.
I won't belabor another point, I love correct engine color, a 340 in a 1968 would be red. Here, myself not knowing the engine origin, his choice of color may not have been given.

Red

Last edited:
You can go 70 and up setup with that engine. Or you can go all 69( after changing wp) You just cant mix 69 & 70 in the alt bracket/crank pulley and so pulley combo. Mock up every thing before installing gaskets permanently.
Keep us posted

If it's a mid 69 date it's a 70 motor. You need 70 pulleys, alt & brackets.
You can't use 69 parts the water outlet is on the drivers side and will cover the timing marks. I think chignikred said it best, you have been educated, now get the parts and put it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back