1969 a727 recommendations

-

BYM

Reaction score
well after all decided to rebuild my transmission, my questions are since im a newbie to this trans.
I have the column shifted A727 on a 340 dart swinger
I plan to use it on the street and some strip. probably wont see any over than bolt ons and possibly a cam. nothing crazy. plus i dont plan running drag radials or dots or slicks.
been reading but just seems confusing for me regarding valvebody upgrades what kind of discs and all.
maybe someone can help me out on choosing the right rebuild kit and shiftkit?

A VB upgrade is a good idea.

With a column I'd make sure get one that functions in automatic mode and 1st gear band apply is nice.

I went with turbo action.

Extra clutch discs, a different ratio lever. I think there is a spring that gets removed. It's been a while.

A couple years after your trans was built, chrysler increased the width of the direct drum bushing and pump journal it rode on; so those older ones were more critical on the end play to keep the drum from wobbling. About 25% of the 727s I take apart have a worn drum where the rings ride because they were overhauled with too much end play. Those drums cannot be saved. I put trans together with about .010 on a cold housing and .020 on a warm one. Clutch brands are all similar if they're beige or brown. Alto Red Eagles are the performance standard, but even those are subject to some strange marketing for the front drum stack. The Red Eagle kits have 4 and 4 frictions but since the alto material is less pervious to heat, the common trick is to use five smooths (the grooved frictions lose 20% of their gripping surface) from the forward drum in the front drum. Step further is the kits that put 6-7 in the direct drum with the thin forwards (.062) and a thinner top pressure plate. The kevlar band is a great deal at about $25 free shipping. Make sure you have minimum of four frictions in the front drum (direct drum; third gear drum, reverse-high drum). The TransGo kit charges the converter 90% in park; Sonnax has the manual valve upgrade also.

-
Back