1969 barracuda 383 formula s temperature/timing help

-

oldnew

Reaction score
I have a 1969 barracuda formula s 383 with new carb, spark plug wires, etc. What is the recommended timing for it? It runs a little hot almost every time it's driven. Do they normally run a little hot?

thanks

oldnew,

I would not worry too much as of yet. Check the fluid levels and ensure there is not a leak. Then check the resistance of the clutch...

Does it heat up when it is sitting, and once you are at highway speed is it fine? The manual states if it starts climbing at a standstill, then push the RPMs up and the temp should drop.

I would suspect a clutch issue, or a thermostat issue. Is there a fan shroud?

It may be that your timing is a bit advanced, but if it is not pinging, I would look elsewhere...

The water pump and thermostat are both good. There is a fan shroud. It eventually gets hot even at idle.

Also, we have the original fan shroud on it...would a bigger one be better?

Without you describing exactly what is happening here are possibles:
How hot is 'hot'?

Bad fan clutch (can get a Mopar Performance one)
You do have a 7 blade fan correct? Have you tried to raise the RPMs to get the temp to drop?

The shroud is a good thing, provided the radiator and shroud are correct for the car. What part number are they?

Radiator plugged up. Can you flush it and the block as well?

Timing issue (have you checked it?)

Carb is possibly lean

Improperly mixed coolant

You have a 16 lb cap, correct?

Also try 10-12 even up to 15 initial...800 to 900 rpm idle. Is it otherwise stock?
I can check the FSM when I get home.

What kind of carb is the new carb? Here is an article on carb tuning you might find useful

www.allpar.com/fix/carb-tuning.html

Edit: The FSM says TDC for Manual 2 BBL and 4 BBL, and 7 1/2 BTC for an automatic. I suspect the BBs respond well to a little more initial. My SB 340 likes more than 5 BTC initial, which is what the FSM calls for.

I have a 1969 barracuda formula s 383 with new carb, spark plug wires, etc. What is the recommended timing for it? It runs a little hot almost every time it's driven. Do they normally run a little hot?

thanks

They normally run cool. Mine is factory eveything except a Factory flex fan. What Carb is on the 383? Did it run hot with the old Carb? What is a little hot? I set mine with Factory specs, auto 5 BTDC, stick TDC. Start there. If it is factory, it is high compression. I changed pistons years ago to about 9 to 1 and honed the block with mains torqued and torque plate installed. What gas are you running?

Carb is a brand new Edelbrock. It has 16 lb cap. It ran hot even with the old carb. The temperature gauge would easily go up to 3/4.

Carb is a brand new Edelbrock. It has 16 lb cap. It ran hot even with the old carb. The temperature gauge would easily go up to 3/4.

Do you have access to a temp gun to get an accurate reading on temp? Does it heat up when cruising and normally stay cool at idle? Need to know how hot HOT is, stock guages and senders can be misleading.

stock guages and senders can be misleading.

Exactly.....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since this seems to be a on going problem, you really should try and get a aftermarket gauge, even if it's a cheap one, to try and get a accurate reading. You could always hook it up temporarily if you want to keep the stock look.

As far as the timing, these days, the reality is you'll really need to disregard the FSM. Even with a stock hi-comp 383, you're engine should still be much happier with 12*+ BTDC initial timing. It may actually like much more considering the fuel grade you would like to use. The main thing is to get your initial in a good range, and then limit the total mechanical advance, if need be, to around 36*.
There is always the possibility of a lean carb contributing to your heating issue, but you need to get the timing right first, and also know what the real water temp is.

Factory radiator is a 3 core, what are the numbers on yours? Can you count the rows with the cap off? I also run a 160 degree thermostat without a shroud. What fan are you running? I hope not the stinking 4 blade fixed...

-
Back