1969 Barracuda trunk finish panel

-

1969cuda

Reaction score
I have an N.O.S. panel on my ‘69, but I have started seeing some reproduction panels selling from Vans, Classic Industries and a few others. Has anyone bought one and can speak to its correctness, fit and finish?

I haven't had a NOS panel in front of me. But I was less than impressed with a reproduction. Much less.

I have inquired to both Vans and Classic to find out of who the manufacturer was for their panels, but was told they didn’t know.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly I checked laysons tent out at Moparfest a few years ago and they had the standard 69 panel. It appeared to be a nice piece BUT it definitely felt lighter.

I don't know if AMD is making theirs anymore, but I installed one on my car. It was a lot of work, but the fit was PERFECT.
Cuda01.png

Cuda02.png

I assumed they were talking about the Trunk Finish Panel... “¯\_(ツ)_/¯“

upload_2021-12-28_22-44-31.png

One of these not the rear Valance Panel?

I got mine from Year One. It's still in the box. I took it out just to make sure it didn't have any defects.
I sent one back to Classic Industries and they were taking forever to replace it so I went to Year One.
The one I got is a keeper.

Yes, that is the panel in question. Was there a difference in quality, or was one just damaged and returned?

From what I've seen the "newer' repros seem real nice. The Formula S panel does not come with the emblem and the others (Argent) do not come with the fish emblem but they do come with the clips so I'm guessing that would need to be accommodated. I'm planning on purchasing the Formula S one even though mine came with the other. The pricing isn't bad actually.

Yes, that is the panel in question. Was there a difference in quality, or was one just damaged and returned?
The one I returned had a couple small scratch/dents. It was obviously returned before, since it had multiple layers of tape on the shipping box...

This is the one I sent back.

upload_2021-12-29_6-24-32.png

upload_2021-12-29_6-25-49.png

My original finish panel.
upload_2021-12-29_6-27-21.png

After putting many hours into removing the dents and scratches. A couple spots still need a little more work.
It's put it away for now. Might get it out and finish it some day... I used a little hammer and some deep 1/4" drive sockets as my dent removal tools.

I've never compared the weight.

upload_2021-12-29_6-31-54.png

My Finish Panel Before

After several hours and hours more needed...

I think a set of "Paintless Dent Removal" tools would work for some of the remaining imperfections... “¯\_(ツ)_/¯“
I just wanted to see if I could straighten it. Tap, tap, tap, Tap, tap, tap... Just takes time.
Anodizing, Painting, and/or Correctly Refinishing is another story.

Funny how none of the companies selling these panels will answer the question, who makes them.

I purchased one from Vans last year. It is considerably lighter than the original. However fit and finish is very nice. I would definitely purchase agian.

-
Back