1969 Barracuda with some possible rare options

-

moparnutt

Reaction score
I have just purchased a 69 Barracuda with tons of options that might be rare if anyone could give me some insight on these options one is factory rear air, factroy am/fm radio, power steering pump cooler, it also has the red platsic inner fender wells... if anyone has info on the codes for these options or production numbers on these options Any help would be great thanks.

The red fender liners are a rare option. I saw a pair of them go on eBay a few years ago for about a grand, give or take. The am fm radio is also somewhat rare. Sorry I don't know the codes.

Red wheel well liners are very rare and desirable. The AM/FM is pretty rare desirable.

P/S cooler would be from a 3.55 gear car with P/S. May have been added by previous owner. Any picture of it?

"factory rear air" sound like rear defogger. Not real common. Not extremely desirable like the well liners or AM/FM.

Post a picture of the fender tag or buildsheet and we can decode what options it originally came with.

The red wheel well liners are pretty rare, I thought a member on here had some for sale, or maybe ebay....and pricey. AM/fm is a nice option. P/s cooler would be cool too, although I have never heard of a factory one. Spit out the pics already!! LOL

I couldn't get the fender tag to show up clear in a picture I was able to de-code all the options except two, m32 and b76

Here are few pictures of the car

IMG_0222[1].jpg

IMG_0228[1].jpg

IMG_0229[1].jpg

IMG_0225[1].jpg

I couldn't get the fender tag to show up clear in a picture I was able to de-code all the options except two, m32 and b76

M32 I bet is the hood scoops or some part of the A56 'Cuda package. You didn't say it was a A56 car! Cool!

B76 might be read wrong. Sure it says that?

Read all the factory ordering literature at Hamtramck Historical:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

What all the rest codes? That is a sweet car.

White with deluxe bright red interior. Is it a real A56 'Cuda?

Looks like the factory P/S cooler. Is it a 3.55 rear gear optioned car?

Well the car was a red on red car but it got painted white sometime over the years, here are the fender tag codes e55, d32, w1, w1, d6r, r6, a01, a04, a56, a62, a86, b51, c16, c55, g11, g33, h51, j25, L31, m21, m31, m47, n85, r21, v78 end the v78 is the correct code not b76 Thanks GD

Well the car was a red on red car but it got painted white sometime over the years, here are the fender tag codes e55, d32, w1, w1, d6r, r6, a01, a04, a56, a62, a86, b51, c16, c55, g11, g33, h51, j25, L31, m21, m31, m47, n85, r21, v78 end the v78 is the correct code not b76 Thanks GD

V78 is a stripe delete but that might be in part with the 'Cuda A56 option. There's a guy in Santa Cruz California that is really knowledgeable in the A56/A57 cars and runs a registry. He would be a great help. I'll do some searching, I think I can find his contact info.

That REAR AIR switch is for the rear window defogger fan not AC. You can see the outlet slot for the defogger above the speaker in your pic. It isn't rare.

That REAR AIR switch is for the rear window defogger fan not AC. It isn't rare.

Maybe for cars up in Canada, but you don't see it very much in Coupes or Fastbacks in the US. I added one to my 68 Coupe, doesn't work very well. Not a really rare item, but not very common option.

In 1968 4.1% of coupe and 8.7% of U.S. Barracuda production got rear air defogger (no conv's of course). Right side mirror is 3.0% overall.

I would not expect the 69 numbers to be a whole lot different.

The wheel well linner came in only one color ( red ). I dont know why that is. Their purpose was to prevent ice and snow from accumulating in the wheel well but their big plus is a quieter cabin. I would love to have a set of those too. Last I saw on ebay fetched a little over 500.00 for all 4.
Steering fluid cooler was part of a towing package I think. That package didn't include much else, right door mirror, heavy duty signal flasher.

The wheel well linner came in only one color ( red ). I dont know why that is. Their purpose was to prevent ice and snow from accumulating in the wheel well but their big plus is a quieter cabin. I would love to have a set of those too. Last I saw on ebay fetched a little over 500.00 for all 4.
Steering fluid cooler was part of a towing package I think. That package didn't include much else, right door mirror, heavy duty signal flasher.

There were only fender liners for the front I believe. The rear wheel wells didn't need liners.

V78 is a stripe delete but that might be in part with the 'Cuda A56 option. There's a guy in Santa Cruz California that is really knowledgeable in the A56/A57 cars and runs a registry. He would be a great help. I'll do some searching, I think I can find his contact info.
Hey that would be great if you could get me his info... Thanks GD

I read some where that Plymouth came out with the red wheel liners after GM had offered them on one of there cars ( i don't remember what one ). The red was for a for a cosmetic appearance... to look meaner. I'm sure they helped some with Ice and noise, but were offered to compeat with GM.

Maybe for cars up in Canada, but you don't see it very much in Coupes or Fastbacks in the US. I added one to my 68 Coupe, doesn't work very well. Not a really rare item, but not very common option.

In 1968 4.1% of coupe and 8.7% of U.S. Barracuda production got rear air defogger (no conv's of course). Right side mirror is 3.0% overall.

I would not expect the 69 numbers to be a whole lot different.

I agree. I added it to my notch back in the day. All it does is blow cabin air on the rear window. All rear defoggers of the era did the same until the heated rear window defoggers showed up.

Very nice find!!! This is a white car/red interior. W1 W1 D6R. A56-340 'cuda package, M47-'cuda hood scoops, N85- tach, R21-AM/FM, V78- accent stripe delete(this is due to 'cuda package). The rear defogger is rare, red wheel house liners are rare, AM/FM is also rare. I've never seen or heard of a power steering cooler on an A-body. I can decode the rest later with the book.........own 5 'cuda package cars, 2-440's 1 notch 1 FB, 1-383 4spd notch, 2-340 4spds 1 notch 1 FB. Also a 383-S 4spd notch...............I'm also the new CARETAKER of a '69 440 'cuda ONLY registry. We have 104 of the 360 cars built to date. Looking for new, real 440(M-code)cars for the registry. Thanks, Dave

Wow..very cool car! Like said above, some very rare options! I agree with Dave, I've never seen or heard of a power steering cooler on an A-body? Very nice find! I've been keeping a registry for 340 & 383 ‘cudas, so drop me an email with the details and I'll add it to my registry.

Daniel
[email protected]

I read some where that Plymouth came out with the red wheel liners after GM had offered them on one of there cars ( i don't remember what one ). The red was for a for a cosmetic appearance... to look meaner. I'm sure they helped some with Ice and noise, but were offered to compeat with GM.

They were offered by Oldsmobile for there 4-4-2s I think. Definitely offered by Olds.:read2:

-
Back