1969 Chrysler Australia, Valiant VF Hardtop Regal Time Capsule

-

VF69HARDTOP

Reaction score
Hi guys

Ive been lurking around here for little while now and thought it was time to start my own build thread. Im in Australia and have the Aussie version of the 1969 Dart Hardtop. I started a thread a couple years ago on an Aussie page, so If some of the timeline or info looks a little weird, its because Im lazy and Im copy/pasting from there to get this thread going. Ill then update this thread directly as I progress.

Thanks guys

From Sept 2013.

Hi guys

Great to become a member of the forum and looking forward to gaining more knowledge and sharing with you guys.
I recently bought a 69 VF Hardtop that has a bit of a story, so here it goes.

When I was 16 I bought my first car from my uncle being a VF 4 door for $1000 with a slant 6 and column manual. It sat in the driveway for a few months until I got my licence and then it was go time. When I was nearing 17, I came across a nice looking 69 VF Hardtop Regal with slant 6 and column auto sitting in the back of a car yard. It had just been traded in and needed detailing. Luckily I had my dad with me, who was also a keen Valiant lover having owned an ex police VH 4 door and then a CL. We looked it over and I was SOLD! They wanted $3000 for her and would give me a $1200 trade in for my 4dr, a couple days later I picked it up.

About a year later we moved off to the country and I started to tinker with the hardtop. I bought a VF Regal V8 wagon with 318 but fitted with a 4 spd manual and commenced to transplant the running gear into the hardtop. A year later I pulled out the engine and had my first shot a rebuilding the engine to stock specs and just a mild cam. A bit of time went by and while driving on the highway one of the remote oil filter hoses split and ended up spinning the bearings. My plan was to now rebuild the engine to some hotter specs and revert back to an auto. I replaced the trans tunnel to fix the modded one from fitting the 4spd and then she sat for a couple months. During this time I bought an AP6 fitted with a 265 and 4 spd for a daily driver.

I was now 20 and my parents then decided to move back to the city so the hardtop had to be moved out of the shed. I had just crashed the AP6 and it needed repairing and I had no where to put the hardtop rolling shell. Luckily a mate is a spray painter so we struck a deal, he would repair and paint the AP6 in exchange for the hardtop. He then on sold the hardtop to a guy for around $3000.

Being 39 now, nearly every day my biggest regret was to let go of the hardtop. I dabbled in a Jap import Nissan 180sx with a 2ltr turbo, bloody thing made 400rwhp with factory internals and a medium turbo and cam upgrade and was reliable as anything could be and driven daily for years in this set up. I still wanted my hardtop back so I decide to sell the 180sx after owning it for 9 years and look for a clean hardtop to fill the space of my old one.

Within a week of selling the 180sx, I wondered if the guy that bought my old hardtop still had it and would sell it. I tracked him down and gave him a call.
Much to my surprise he still had it and hadn't touch it since getting it 19 years ago!
I asked if he would sell it and he wasn't keen on the idea, I said think about it and I will ring back at the end of the week. So the friday came and I gave him a call, he had done some hard thinking and said he would sell it back to me if I wanted but would not sell it to any one else. He had been pestered over the years by many people trying to buy it and wouldn't part with it. So I jumped in the car saturday morning and went to have a look.
As soon as I saw her I almost had a tear in my eye, we worked out a price and I gave him a deposit and came back a couple days later and picked her up and took her home.

When I got home I had a good look over her and found the old rego papers in the glove box from last registration with my name from 1994. I also found my old watch and the old L plates that I used to teach my younger brother to drive (he went on and bought a nice VC regal) In the boot was a hubcap with bags of bolts from the engine that I had stripped and bagged up. It was like my own personal time capsule. To top it off, its still registered in my name, he never changed it!

So now after some 19 years, I have her back in the same condition (not one spec of rust has come out in all these years, though the paint is looking sad) I can pick up with the rebuild from where I left off. So I'll more than likely be asking you guys for some info and pointers during this time.

Ah, that took a while to type, sorry for the long intro guys but I hope its a story worth sharing.

Cheers for now.

Great story - keep us updated! Is your initial thread over at moparmarket. I stop by once in awhile to see if there's anything new concerning triple Webers

June 2014

Bought this old girl home on the weekend. Belongs to my brother and we started the rebuild around 13 yrs ago and never finished it. Its been sitting at our parents place all this time about 90% complete. We or I should say, I, as I do all the work on it, got the stitch big time and lost interest in it. Seeing as my interest in Valiants has been re-ignited due to buying back my old hardtop, I thought it would complete it.

Got a bit done this weekend on it and hope to have it all knocked off in 4-6 weeks. I had already rebuild the slant, trans overhauled and shift kitted, new paint, new interior, all new rubbers and steering and converted to VG disc brakes.

November 2014 when I finished her, I was lucky enough to use it in my wedding.

Cheers

Last edited:
Great story - keep us updated! Is your initial thread over at moparmarket. I stop by once in awhile to see if there's anything new concerning triple Webers
Hi

Yeah Moparmarket is where I started the thread on her. Im slowly getting it all on here.

Cheers

August 2014

We got to take the VC on her first cruise today. It was my dads 66th birthday today so my brother and I surprised him by picking him up in the VC and took him to a nice pub for lunch and couple beers. Luckily the rain held off and she ran nice and got plenty of attention as we cruised along.

The VC was sold later :(

Ill just upload some of the pics as time has gone bye with some of the progress. Most of it is just stripping it and cleaning. I did replace the trans tunnel floor section as it had been done poorly previously. Please excuse any bad welding as I have never welded before and thought Id give it a go.

And some more,

Had the dreaded rust in the RH chassis rail, this is very common in the Aussie Valiants due to gussets in the rail where the steering box mounts. I tackled this job myself, cutting out 450mm of rail and building it back up.

Then off to the painters.

Last edited:
Ill update some pics of the car at the painters soon but in the mean time, here are a couple pics of the Hardtop when I was 18, my AP6 Valiant that was painted when I parted wiht the hardtop and the 180SX I dabbled with.

Ill update some pics of the car at the painters soon but in the mean time, here are a couple pics of the Hardtop when I was 18, my AP6 Valiant that was painted when I parted wiht the hardtop and the 180SX I dabbled with.

Paul brother I know you were young but what were you thinking, lol. She was sweet, I'm sure you'll get her back looking like new.

Dan

Yeah I know, we have a saying here "young, dumb and full of c*m" I didn't think they would become collectable but I always did regret parting ways with it, she ran a very mild 318 and 4 speed. It will turn out nice once finished and luckily the wife encourages me to do it right.

Cheers

Hate to tell you this but your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

That's a great looking car.

HI Guys

Not much going on lately as Ive had a bit of bad luck with the painter I sent the car to. He turned out to be full of **** and doing a half arsed job so I had to repo the car even though I had paid 6k at that point. He is an absolute dog of person and karma will get him. So it sits here waiting for funds to build back up and a slot at the next painter to free up to get it stripped again and done correctly.

Im looking at buying the from and rear window seals and wanted some input on brands form you guys. We have some Aussie made seals here but they never fit that great so thought Id get some US made seals.
Im looking at both of these brands Precision and Metro Supersoft and wanted your advise as to the best fitting of the two. My hardtops front and rear windows have the chrome trim that sits over the seal so I think I have selected the correct seals?

Thanks guys

https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/checkout.html

Cart - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Last edited:
As I said on my thread Paul that really sucks about the painter and you'll muscle thru and get her done. I neglected to mention what a great piece of workmanship you did rebuilding that rail, super job, I'm impressed!

Dan

Hey Dan

Thanks for the kind words mate. I really enjoyed doing the rail repair and it certainly helped being thicker material to work with, very happy with the result.

I have organised a good mate of mine for over 20yrs, thats a painter to do the car. He will take it later this year and stripped back the little that has been done and start again. Luckily my wife is very supportive and encouraged me to take the car back before the other toss did anymore shonky work to it.

Cheers

I piecemealed the metro supersoft seals for my Scamp and they seemed to fit well.

Hi Guys

Its been a little over 2yrs since an update. After being ripped by a painter due to his ordinary work the car sat all this time while I saved up cash to get it painted elsewhere. So I now have it back and painted and looking pretty bloody good, so the build can now continue.
The colour is the factory Chrysler Australia, Valiant, Golden Green Metallic in 2k. Now to slowly continue work without scratching or chipping her!

IMG_20181126_121450_zps2keqms8n.jpg

IMG_20181126_121526_zpsb1gcqtgo.jpg

IMG_20181123_165450_zpszlidhyww.jpg

-
Back