1969 Cuda Wiper Motor Connections for aftermarket motor

-

1969FB & 1967NB Cuda

Reaction score
I purchased an aftermarket wiper motor with 4 spade connectors. My original one has 4 soldered connections and the wires go directly inside the motor. I have a OEM variable speed switch with an internal resistor inside. I have the 4 wires coming out of the bulk connector. The new motor has a smaller motor that oriented differently but the mounting is the same, just had to remove the thick bushings from the new motor and reuse the 1 piece seal with the slimmer rubber bushings and OEM metal inserts. My problem is I cant find the pin out to connect the 4 wires? Brown A, Red F1, DK greenF2, DK Blue P. I need a pinout so I can use this new type motor. it has 4 male spade terminals. It has an internal power source to power the P park position. The OEM had an external jumper for that. The OEM has 4 wires. Does anyone know the pin out for the new aftermarket Motor?

both Motors.jpg

new wiper motor connector.jpg

Last edited:
The wiper motor that you bought is a factory style 2 speed wiper motor, entirely different beast than the Three speed/variable speed model. The 2 speed motor has a plug at the end of the wires from the bulkhead connector that plugs into the spade connectors, plus you would need a ballast resistor (not the same kind as the ignition ballast resistor, but looks similar and smaller) or it really can't work (it is mounted over the gold strap). I seem to remember that you also have to use a 2 speed arm for the motor as opposed to the 3 speed arm on your current wiper motor. It is not a simple thing to switch motors because the entire system is different. Oh, yeah, you also need a 2 speed switch...

Last edited:
reread your post - you need both the bushings at the mounting nuts AND the big seal on the back - pictures tomorrow...

Also the 2 speed motor uses a different 2 speed switch, and the washer bottle uses manual foot pump. (Not electric) the 2 speed pump sub harness is available at yearone. You also need the resistor that plugs into the sub harness for low speed. Completely different animal than a variable speed setup.

Last edited:
What year are you working on? That makes a difference. Theres 2 harnesses for the 2 speed. And the single pigtail wires are for the resistor to give it low speed function. That resistor bolts to the motor assembly. Year one offers 68-69 and 69 built after november 15th

Screenshot_20210303-054043_Samsung Internet.jpg

I decided to keep electric pump but am building an electric foot pedal setup out of a manual pump since 2 speed switch cannot be modified to run electric pump, and the manual pump was shot. Modifying the pump bracket requires a bit of cutting and welding. Switch is an industrial pushbutton start switch.

20210220_173038.jpg

20210220_175927.jpg

20210220_180032.jpg

20210220_175943.jpg

Have you tried to connect it to the OEM linkage? There are different drive arms with either centered or offset bushings in them for the different gear boxes. Good luck with it.

Also the 2 speed motor uses a different 2 speed switch, and the washer bottle uses manual foot pump. (Not electric) the 2 speed pump sub harness is available at yearone. You also need the resistor that plugs into the sub harness for low speed. Completely different animal than a variable speed setup.
The wiper motor that you bought is a factory style 2 speed wiper motor, entirely different beast than the Three speed/variable speed model. The 2 speed motor has a plug at the end of the wires from the bulkhead connector that plugs into the spade connectors, plus you would need a ballast resistor (not the same kind as the ignition ballast resistor, but looks similar and smaller) or it really can't work (it is mounted over the gold strap). I seem to remember that you also have to use a 2 speed arm for the motor as opposed to the 3 speed arm on your current wiper motor. It is not a simple thing to switch motors because the entire system is different. Oh, yeah, you also need a 2 speed switch...
I found something on for B bodies only, "The motor is the exactly the same. The switch determines if the motor runs with 3 speeds or variable speeds and did on all mopars till the intermittent function was introduced" Some motors had an external resistor on the motor, I am using the stock variable switch which has the resister internal and a provision output for the washer motor when you push in on the switch. It will work I just need to identify the spade connectors.

I decided to keep electric pump but am building an electric foot pedal setup out of a manual pump since 2 speed switch cannot be modified to run electric pump, and the manual pump was shot. Modifying the pump bracket requires a bit of cutting and welding. Switch is an industrial pushbutton start switch.

View attachment 1715700551

View attachment 1715700552

View attachment 1715700553

View attachment 1715700554
My stock variable switch has a built in output for the washer when you push in on the switch. The washer is a separate issue. I need to identify the spade connectors on the newer motor.

I am not upgrading, stock variable switch has built in resistor. I found something on for B bodies only, "The motor is the exactly the same. The switch determines if the motor runs with 3 speeds or variable speeds and did on all mopars till the intermittent function was introduced" Some motors had an external resistor on the motor, I am using the stock variable switch which has the resister internal and a provision output for the washer motor when you push in on the switch. It will work I just need to identify the spade connectors.

What year are you working on? That makes a difference. Theres 2 harnesses for the 2 speed. And the single pigtail wires are for the resistor to give it low speed function. That resistor bolts to the motor assembly. Year one offers 68-69 and 69 built after november 15th

View attachment 1715700549
69 Cuda with stock internal resistor in the switch. I want to use individual spade connectors because I don't want to pay 50 bucks for a connector. I just need the pinout. Currently there are 4 wires from the switch and 4 spade connectors on the new style motor.

View attachment 1715700551

View attachment 1715700552

View attachment 1715700553

View attachment 1715700554
Mine factory switch has a built in output for the washer, just need to push in on the switch. That is not my issue.

"The motor is the exactly the same. The switch determines if the motor runs with 3 speeds or variable speeds a

let's try again - the 3 and variable speed system are the same except for switch, and the 2 speed system, which is the wiper motor that you bought, is a different system. You can't just hook it to your 3/variable speed switch

Matt shows you the wiring for the 2 speed motor above, but the arm that attaches to the motor is different and you can't use your switch on a 2 speed motor - they are wired differently. The switch and your new motor are incompatible

I think that the actual plug is the same since it is part of the main underdash harness (actually 2 separate but interlocking plugs), but the wires are set up different. The wiper wire is separate still with its own switch plug and all that is separate from the main wiring harness. In particular the low speed on the 2 speed is accomplished with that separate external resistor. I have no clue how the 2 speed motor would react to input from the variable speed rheostat or the 3rd speed setting in the switch, but it can't be good.

Matt, from another thread, it seems that later (maybe after manual pumps went away) they put electric wiper capability in 2 speed switches, I don't think we know know what year this car is.

Mike,

His thread says 69 barracuda. I believe the foot pump went up to 72 but I could be wrong.

Matt

Your new repop motor is a replica of a factory 2 speed wiper motor. You will need these items to make it work correctly

2 speed wiper switch
2 speed wiper motor crank arm
Low speed resistor
2 speed crank arm bushing and clip
2 speed wiring sub harness (or wire your own)
Mechanical foot washer pump (or electric switch)

If you can wire it as a V speed wiper post the schematic. That would be a great idea if it can be done.

Matt

Is the plug/wiring for the 2 and 3/variable switch different ?
The wiring is the same, I found out that the manufacture for chrysler used cloth insulation and that is soldered to the 4 wire vinyl cover wire harness. The cloth disengaged and shorted out the motor. So the stock motor has no terminals it soldered from the factory to the manufacturer cloth wires. I know this motor will work. Because the switch has a stock internal variable resistor, so no resistor is needed at the motor end. 4 wires coming from the harness and the new motor has 4 terminals. The 3 speed and variable motors are interchangeable. Just need to identify which one is for the red, blue, Brown and dark green on the new motor

I have a stock variable set up. The variable resistor is in the switch, I hooked up an ohm meter and when you rotate it the value changes. I just need to identify the spade pinout on the new motor. if I had a 2 speed then it would be different. I have 4 wires from the switch and 4 spade terminals on the new motor. the switch controls the speed and when you push in it has an output for the washer. I see the connector for it on Classic industries but I don't want to pay 50 bucks. I can use 4 spade terminals individually, I just need to identify the pin out on the new motor. Red, Blue, Green and brown

-
Back