1969 Dart 340 Help

-

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm needing help once again. I found a 69 Dodge Dart 340 4spd car and I really need to know what I'm getting into before I get into it, so I'm here for your trained eyes.

The car has a built up 318 and a 904 trans but comes with a date coded 340 and a 727 auto. I think he said something about a bell housing for a four speed but doesnt have the four speed.

I will post the fender tag info and some pictures of the car. I'm interested in it and the owner is willing to trade but I really need more info on it.

First what is a 69 Dart 340 4spd car going for in this condition? Also once it is restored what is it going for?

Here is the Fender tag and pics of the car coming up right after the fender tag info. I decoded most of it but I want to know if I come up with the same as you guys.

R11 V8W END
R6 (Not sure if its an "A" or just a smudge after R6) R6 L2X X9 213 110289
E55 D21 LM23 P9B 393594

Here is the original add for the car-

1969 Dodge Dart 2. originally 340 4speed car. has built 318 with 904 auto in it right now. Have Date coded 1969 340 block and forged pistons to build towards original. also have 4 speed bell housing and Zbar to convert back to original.
car is in decent shape. Needs body work. ive had the car for 3 years and just do not have the space/equipment to do my dream project. ive got the quarter skins, and the lower front fender patch sheet metal already.
the 318 in it has voodoo cam, built heads, forged pistons, stock rods and crank. you can use these heads, cam, rods and crank with the 340 pistons and block. you will have yourself a very stout motor.

Here are the pics I have of it as of right now. I just asked for some of the front and under the hood.

backwindow1.jpg

outside1.jpg

quarterpassenger1.jpg

trunk1.jpg

trunk2.jpg

trunk3.jpg

inside2-1.jpg

inside1.jpg

inside5.jpg

inside4.jpg

inside3.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor1.jpg

Okay so for right now that is all the info I have on it. I know it needs rockers on the one side and both sides need 1/4 panels but he has them and I belive they came from year one a few years ago.

The other extra stuff are some motor parts and the guy is also willing to trade for my Vette a 96 LT4 and deliever the car.

So tell me what I need to know from what you see and what I need to ask.

Thanks everyone.

Unless you are good with rust repair, I would not get it. Also the engine with that date code would be correct for a 1970 model year car not 69. The headliner was not correctly installed, there is rust on the rocker and the door opening below the fender. The seats are wrong and it needs a spare tire well. What is going on where the shocks mount? With all that said and you still want to get it, I would put the value no higher then $3,500.

Quaters are off a '67, needs spare tire well, trunk extensions, quaters, marker lights, rockers, maybe doors, inside the doors in the body seam couldbe rusted out also, filler neck gromet, correct seats, headliner, 340 block, wheels, package tray.

No higher than 3500

What are the seats out of and what year?

I didnt even notice no side marker lights and quarter panels being wrong.

I'm not scared of putting panels on but I dont want something so far gone to be fixed it would be a nightmare.

Do they reporduce the marker lights?

What do they not reproduce for this car?

this car needs ALOT from what i can see. have you looked under the carpet at the floors? how about some pics of the engine bay and frame rails. i can say with confidence you will have a ton of metal work ahead of you. if it were me, i would keep on walking and find a better foundation . they are out there , you just have to be patient. think about it, both quarters, rockers, trunk pan , possibly the floors , and we havent seen the bottom yet.

this car needs ALOT from what i can see. have you looked under the carpet at the floors? how about some pics of the engine bay and frame rails. i can say with confidence you will have a ton of metal work ahead of you. if it were me, i would keep on walking and find a better foundation . they are out there , you just have to be patient. think about it, both quarters, rockers, trunk pan , possibly the floors , and we havent seen the bottom yet.

Yea, what everybody before me said and just to add, that's a far cry from the Duster you were trying to trade for. A ton more work.

red with white stripe and black interior - bench seat. also from above mentioned -GTS hood and tail piece? I noticed the upper inside doors do not have the GT Sport emblems. are the core support and trunk lip stamped with vin?
Some serious work to do on it. what do the frame rails look like?

it seemed from the first question whats it worth and what will it be worth? you'll be upsidedown in this unit. I agree keep walking and find a more complete project they are out there.

Thanks guys thats why I came here to ask you guys first before I did anything.

Yeah I wish the Yellow Duster deal would have worked out but it is what it is. The guy on the Duster got mad and said he Duster was worth 12 thousand because he paid that and my car was worth less. I even said my car was not a high dollar car as of right now so I dont know really know what happend that pissed him off so bad.

Back to this Dart, I agree I will pass on it. I just wanted to be well informed to know more about it and I'm waiting on pics of the frame and I did see under the hood not close up but I think I will pass on it.

I did find a 73 Dart Sport that a dealer has here in my area I will post a link to it. I dont know if its an original 340 car or what right now as the lady couldnt tell me and wouldnt email me the fender tag. I will go and look at it and its something they might trade me for.

http://www.donovansusedcars.com/vehicle_pages/1175033563.shtml

Also the charger in the background is a 68 and it is not there anymore. I think the only Mopar they have is this Dart and a 74 Seebring. This Dart has been there for years I would say over 12 years because I looked at it a long long time ago.

I do want something I can either clone or kind of hot rod out with out taking away from an orignal car. I'm the guy who likes to leave them original if they were what they say they are.

The search continues, this is kind of fun and I'm really learning and relearning a lot.

I dont think anyone knows (but those who have been through it) how much a stroke can effect your memory so all this is good for me in learning everything over again.

Thanks everyone.

hey , Coronet, dont get discouraged whatever you do. they are out there. you will find a good deal. keep doing what youre doing, this way you dont get upside down in anything.

the dart sport looks like a great car

hey , Coronet, dont get discouraged whatever you do. they are out there. you will find a good deal. keep doing what youre doing, this way you dont get upside down in anything.

the dart sport looks like a great car

Hey Thanks 73AbodEE, I'm not getting discouraged just really learning everythig all over again and its good. I'm getting a chance to work my brain more and it is helping.

I'm learning everything all over again and I forgot how much I really enjoyed learning about MOPARs and all classic and muscle cars.

I also forgot how much fun the hunt was. I used to chase cars all the time to miss out on one here and there but I'm having fun and I'm meating new people.

Yeah the Dart sport from what I remember years ago had a good body on it but it is a dealer you have to watch so I need to check it over good.

I hope to try and look at it this week if I get a chance. I'm in no rush on anything just looking and seeing what I can find.

Thanks guys.

-
Back