1969 Dodge Dart GTS

-
vacuum is always going to be an issue. is there an issue with the brake system that concerns you to the point of a vacuum assist setup over manual? i love your car. and there is always something you can do, even if you are broke. i never saw a car that couldn't use a good cleaning somewhere!

The guy I bought the car off of said he has the am-fm radio. Knowing him he will try to gouge me for it. He also has the original rims but he wants 200$ for them and I am not sure I want them. I will not be using them.

Also my friend owns a paint shop so when I get the money he is going to do body work and paint inside and out for 3k. He paints alot of my friends cars and they come out looking great. I will pull the motor before taking it up there.

That is sweet. And a real nice starting point. Love it, and looking forward to watching it come together.

Grant

Not much on a update but I got some frame connectors from seymore on this site. I am still gathering parts. I am not going to start much until I can afford paint b/c I have plan and I don't want to do anything twice.

Well I have the money for the paint job. I have to take bumpers trim off. I am going to pull the 340 also. I am not sure I have enough money to do the 402 swap right now so I am thinking of getting the original 340 running until I can afford everything. I need a cheap edelbrock 600 or 650.

So I have been trying to get a hour in here and there to get the car torn down for paint. Yesterday we got the original 340 out and set to the side. I need to start cleaning the engine bay and get the door handles and locks off. Then I am ready for body work and paint. The plan is redo the seats with new foam and covers and new carpet, paint the car back to original white, Restore my ralleys and run them until I can afford the Coy's wheels I want. While the car is in paint jail I am going to repaint my grill and tail panel and all the other little bits. I am getting excited.

In the 4th pic you can see they cut a hole in the radiator support? Cold air intake? HA! I have to patch that.

Attachments

• IMG_2220.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,126
  • IMG_2221.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,111
  • IMG_2222.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMG_2229.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 1,110
  • IMG_2230.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 1,085
  • IMG_2231.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,130
Really nice car! Hope you can get the original radio back. It really should have come with your purchase anyway. (did he go to jail for robbery?) :profilel:

See how there is white overspray on the shock studs/bushings and various firewall components? Do yourself a favor and completely strip the engine compartment so it is nothing but bare sheet metal. I'd also remove ALL the glass and interior before sending it off to paint. You will get a much better job in the end with a bare shell, there will be less time and $$ spent masking, and you can use the down time to get all that stuff cleaned and ready for reassembly. Another thing is that stuff tends to disappear when cars are in for paint. This way you can control everything and not have to worry about missing parts. Oh, and another thing....remove and store all the power brake stuff and just run a 73-76 Dart power brake MC MANUALLY. You'll love it. Good feel, less weight, simpler, no vacuum no problem.

Really nice car! Hope you can get the original radio back. It really should have come with your purchase anyway. (did he go to jail for robbery?) :profilel:

See how there is white overspray on the shock studs/bushings and various firewall components? Do yourself a favor and completely strip the engine compartment so it is nothing but bare sheet metal. I'd also remove ALL the glass and interior before sending it off to paint. You will get a much better job in the end with a bare shell, there will be less time and $$ spent masking, and you can use the down time to get all that stuff cleaned and ready for reassembly. Another thing is that stuff tends to disappear when cars are in for paint. This way you can control everything and not have to worry about missing parts. Oh, and another thing....remove and store all the power brake stuff and just run a 73-76 Dart power brake MC MANUALLY. You'll love it. Good feel, less weight, simpler, no vacuum no problem.

Yeah I am stripping the engine down before heading to paint. The interior is stripped all ready.

Good call on the manual brakes. I was thining about doing that. I really don't like power brakes on these cars anyways. I am going to order the firm feel power steering box.

I am leaving the windows bc the vinyl top is new.

Why not get the stroker in and run the car a while with it before you tear it down for paint? Nice find! You are really gonna like the power those strokers put out. I just ran my 416 for the for the first time yesterday. Had open headers cause I did not get the TTI X-pipe and the one I got from Jegs won't work.

You also need to consider the fuel situation and if you are going to use elec waterpump drive and elec radiator fan. Is the engine going to allow the use of the stock hood?

Why not get the stroker in and run the car a while with it before you tear it down for paint? Nice find! You are really gonna like the power those strokers put out. I just ran my 416 for the for the first time yesterday. Had open headers cause I did not get the TTI X-pipe and the one I got from Jegs won't work.

You also need to consider the fuel situation and if you are going to use elec waterpump drive and elec radiator fan. Is the engine going to allow the use of the stock hood?

I am getting it painted while I have the money. Who knows what could come up... Yeah I saw that motor you bought, it looked good and a good deal. I am going electric fuel pump and stock fan and water pump with the stock radiator freshened up. It should fit under the hood.

So what do I need to do to run a 73-76 Dart power brake MC MANUALLY?

So I got the car mostly stripped down and now my guy who was going to paint my car isn't getting back to me? I am not sure I can afford to get it painted at this time. I have barley been working and it is bill time again. So I sold some of my stuff and took some of the money for the paint job and I have mostly just been buying parts. I got a set of hoctkiss rear leafs, some new rims. I ordered the RMS Lightweight master cylinder kit. I got a full seat cover set with new foam, year one GTS emblems, sound deadner, new aluminum radiator and a Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake.

Yesterday I cleaned up the trunk and apllied Eastwood's Rust Encapsulater. I still have to do some touch up. There was no rust holes through the trunk floor. So that is nice. It will be painted back to the stock W1. It does look like it got hit in the back. Which sucks. I plan on cleaning up the floors in side the car and using this stuff there too. After that is done I will put down the sound deadner and the new carpet. After that I am planning on restoring or upgrading the front and rear suspension, blasting and painting and replacing worn parts. Anyways there are no real exciting pics but here are a few.

BTW the trunk floor was originally blue and painted over white at the factory. You could see alot of blue showing through. Is this common?

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • IMG_2338.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_2340.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 999
How do I get the filler tube out? I unscrewed it from the body and disconnected the rubber tubes it won't budge. Do I have to drop the tank?

How do I get the filler tube out? I unscrewed it from the body and disconnected the rubber tubes it won't budge. Do I have to drop the tank?

Yeah drop the tank and the filler neck should come out as you pull the tank away. You might want to refasten the neck to the body to hold it in place.

If converting to 73-76 Dart MC and manual brakes, but run it manually and you will need a manual brake pushrod. Mopar Perf has an adjustable one. Some people complained about that part not fitting right butI have no personal experience with it. Maybe someone here has a stock manual brake push rod available?

But now I see you bought an RMS manual brake kit. If it come with a push rod, you're good to go, or stop.

Thanks. I guess the tank will have to come out. I have to drain the old gas out anyways.
I already got a manual brake pushrod from a friend.

-
Back