1969 dodge dart pitman arm

-
Reaction score
Good evening

Hoping someone can educate me on this dilemma. Replaced my steering box with Lares steering box. Link below. The steering box on my dart needed to be replaced and the existing pitman arm does not fit the new steering box. To me the pitman splines are just blown out and don’t lock into the splines on the new steering box. Went back to classic and bought a new pitman arm. Link below also. The splined side goes onto the new steering box but the angle of the new arm is completely different and will not work.

also attached images of the original pitman arm. Casting 14-331 ? And the new one I bought. You can see the angle is completely different

Thanks for the help

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/dodge/dart/parts/11043.html

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/dodge/dart/parts/k7074a.html

IMG_4875.jpeg

IMG_4876.png

IMG_4877.jpeg

IMG_4878.jpeg

IMG_4881.jpeg

Going by your last picture, the one in the foreground is a '73-'76 pitman, and the one in the background is a '72 and earlier unit.

Take a look at your center link- if the tie rod ends, pitman and idler arm studs install downward through the center link, then someone installed '73 and up steering components in your car. '72 and earlier cars had components that installed upwards through the center link.
Count the splines on your steering box output to make sure the count is correct on the pitman arm you order, some listings are inaccurate.
When counting the splines, you will notice that there is a "gap" at one point- this is called the "master spline" and is used to correctly index the pitman arm. When counting, pretend there is an additional spline (or splines, I forget how wide the gap is- I *think* it's just 1 spline) and include that in your count.

Take a look at your center link- if the tie rod ends, pitman and idler arm studs install downward through the center link, then someone installed '73 and up steering components in your car. '72 and earlier cars had components that installed upwards through the center link.
Count the splines on your steering box output to make sure the count is correct on the pitman arm you order, some listings are inaccurate.
When counting the splines, you will notice that there is a "gap" at one point- this is called the "master spline" and is used to correctly index the pitman arm. When counting, pretend there is an additional spline (or splines, I forget how wide the gap is- I *think* it's just 1 spline) and include that in your count.
Thank you for all the info. I am hoping I can make another later pitman fit instead of changing all my steering components back to 69.

There's nothing wrong with the later pieces, you just need to be aware of what you have when ordering parts... a lot of things can get swapped around in 50+ years.

-
Back