[FOR SALE] 1969 Dodge Dart Western Sport Special

-

dillon14

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
1969 Dodge Dart Western Sport Special. 273ci automatic. Factory A/C car. Vin-stamped original drivetrain and original body panels. Less than 1% of the total 1969 Dodge Darts were the WSS Darts. The previous female owner purchased the WSS in Californial in 1991 and has owned it for the past 33 years. Subsequently she moved to Maine bringing the Dart with her. The original engine was rebuilt and the original radiator recored. Documentation on both. Now dual exhaust. The car is located in Maine. I have tons of information, photos and a video. $15,900

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

6a.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Wow, great looking car! What condition is the headliner in? Can help but wonder what excuse will be used by DTM….

Headliner is original and in good condition with a few small holes.

Nice looking dart. What is the condition of the drivers seat ?? Can't see with the seat cover. Does the A/C work and blow cold ??

1969 Dodge Dart Western Sport Special

As for myself, I am a (74) year old kid that loves muscle and classic cars. For my work, I am retired from managing a Correctional Facility here in Maine and had worked for the Maine Department of Corrections for (40) years. I am also a respected member of my community. I mention this only because of the value of this car and so that prospective buyers will have some idea as to who they are dealing with. Also, please check out my eBay feedback that is at 100% with (1,382) transactions.

First, a little history on the Dodge Dart. Sergio Marchionne's management could have called it the Dodge 5 Percent, for the additional interest in Chrysler Fiat Auto receives for introducing a 40-mpg (EPA unadjusted combined) compact by 2012. The rumor was that Dodge would use the name Hornet, from its 2006 Geneva show concept. Hudson first used the Hornet name in the 1950s. AMC revived the name for the 1970 model compact that replaced the American, and of course, Chrysler bought AMC in 1987.

The name Dodge chose for its compact, Dart, has a much richer history with the automaker than Hornet. Chrysler dealerships were heavily dualled through the '50s. Beside Chrysler-Plymouth, there was DeSoto-Dodge and even Dodge-Plymouth. Chrysler Corporation decoupled its Dodge-Plymouth dealerships into the 1960 model year, which also was the penultimate year for DeSoto.

Here is how it has used the Dart name, so far.

1960 Dodge gets a new low-priced, full-size series to replace Plymouths. Based on the Plymouth floor pan, at 210.5 inches overall (216.5 inches, wagon) on a 118.0-inch wheelbase, it is smaller than the Polara and Matador, but larger than the new, compact Lancer (188.8 inches on a 106.5-inch wheelbase). Engine options are 318 and 361-cu-in V-8s and the famed 30-degree, 225-cu-in slant six.

1962 Dodge and Plymouth downsize their full-size lines. Chrysler blames Virgil Exner for the way these cars turned out and uses it as an excuse to fire its design chief. The '62 Dart is 202.0 inches long on a 116.0-inch wheelbase.

1963 Dart name is applied to the second-generation Lancer, available with 170- or 225-cubic-inch slant six engines. Part way through the '64 model year, the Dart GT coupe/convertible is added, featuring a 273-cubic-inch V-8.

1965 Dart Charger presages the upcoming '66 Charger, originally intended to be Dodge's turbine-powered production car. The Dart comes with the 273-cubic-inch, four-barrel Charger V-8 and only in light yellow with a black convertible top or optional black half-vinyl top.

1966 Bob Tullius campaigns a '66 Dart V-8 Group 44 in early Trans-Am races.

1967 All-new model available with 170- and 225-cubic-inch slant sixes, 273- and 318-cubic-inch V-8s. GTS model launches late in the year with 340- and 383-cubic-inch V-8s.

1970 GTS and 383 V-8 options are dropped as the Dart gets a face-lift. All coupes are called Dart Swingers, and the 340-cube V-8 is the biggest option. A 198-cu in slant six, which is the 225 with a shorter stroke, supplants the 170.

1971-72 Dart Demon two-door is Dodge's version of the Plymouth Duster.

1973 Dart Sport adds coupe body style to the four-door sedan and two-door hardtop lineup.

1976 The last Dodge Dart is sold, after a one-year overlap with the Aspen.

The 1969 Western Sport Special edition Dodge Dart was specially built for the California market with only 1,500 of them produced. Only .76% of all 1969 Dodge Darts were Western Sport Special Darts and yes, that is less than 1%.

This 1969 Dodge Dart Western Sport Special still retains its original drivetrain consisting of the Vin stamped 273/190 hp engine, Vin stamped 904 3-speed automatic transmission and original rear axle. The car was previously owed by a lady who purchased the car in California back in 1991, moved to Maine with the car, and has owned it for the past 33 years. The original engine was rebuilt on July 02, 2009 (Have Paperwork). The original radiator was re-cored on July 22, 2009 (Have Paperwork). As to the body, this is an all-original body panel car that is rust free and super straight. The car still retains the T3 Light Bronze Metallic paint that was re-applied at some point in the past. There are however areas of chipping/peeling but the overall look is still good.

As I have stated before, the exterior has all the original body panels and is rust free apart from a few areas of surface rust. The car was repainted at some point in the past however, correct prep work was not a top priority. There are areas of paint that have chipped, peeled, or flaked, even though the overall look is still very presentable. As to the glass, I am sure that the windshield is aftermarket, but the remainder is original. Chrome and trim are driver quality. The tires are particularly good with all hubcaps present.

The interior is also original except for the carpet. The front and rear seats do have rips/tears and are faded but all there. I installed an aftermarket cover over the driver’s side of the front seat. The dash has cracks in it and the headliner is particularly good with a few small holes. All lights and gauges work apart from the heater/defroster motor. (May have something to do with the A/C removal.) The overhead lamp has power but no bulb or lens. When driving back the WSS Dart from the photo shoot I noticed that the fuel gauge and temperature gauge were not working. As I had previously evaluated the fuel gauge and it was working correctly. After that I purchased and installed a new fuel tank sending unit, however the fuel gauge was not measuring correctly. At the same time, I noticed, and instantly directed my attention to the temperature gauge which was also not working. My attention quickly turned to the voltage limiter that is plugged in on the back of the dashboard. Its function is not lower the twelve volts to five volts for the fuel gauge and temperature gauge.

Seat belts are aftermarket but are there in the front and rear seats. Also, the front arm rests are OEM but are both black. There is no cigarette lighter, and it does not appear that the car was previously smoked in. The instrument cluster does not have a plastic lens cover, but I am assuming that is the reason for the additional OEM cluster.

The original engine was rebuilt, and the parts are mostly original with the A/C unit being removed during the engine rebuild (A/C engine parts were retained.) The carburetor, alternator, belts, and hoses were replaced.

The trunk is exceptionally clean but does have some surface rust only. The original jack assembly and a spare are present. The trunk lid is particularly nice.

The undercarriage is particularly good with the typical surface rust you would expect to see on a 55-year-old car. Undercarriage body panels as well as frame rails are exceptionally clean. Dual exhaust has been added.

I know from previous experience that there is never too much information for serious collectors. Here is what I know.

Mileage: 64,763 As I have no documentation, I am selling the Dart as mileage exempt.

Radiator Recore 07-02-2009

Engine Rebuild 07-22-2009

Dual Exhaust Added 08-26-2009

Rear Main Seal 05-05-2022

Oil Filter Adapter 05-05-2022

Vin LL23D9E159711

LL23

· L Dodge

· L Low

· 23 Door Hardtop

D 273ci, 190hp, 8 cylinder, V8, 2-bbl

9 1969 Model Year

E Los Angeles CA Assembly Plant

159711 Sequence Number (Vin)

Trim Tag

E31 273ci, 190hp, 8 cylinder, V8, 2-bbl

D31 904 3-Speed Automatic Transmission

LL23

• L Dodge
  • L Low
  • 23-Door Hardtop
D9E

• D 273ci, 190hp, 8 cylinder, V8, 2-bbl
  • 9 1969
  • E Los Angeles CA Assembly Plant
159711 Vehicle Order Number (Vin) Matches Vin Number

T3 Light Bronze Metallic

T3 Light Bronze Metallic

D2T Deluxe, Vinyl Bench, Saddle Tan

T3 Light Bronze Metallic

527 Tuesday May 27, 1969

304143 Body Number

A48 Dress Up Group

· Wheel Lip Mouldings

· Body Belt Mouldings

· Body Side Mouldings or Vinyl Insert Body Side Mouldings

· Grille Surround Mouldings

· B-pillar Mouldings

· Upper Door Frame Mouldings

· Quarter Mouldings

· Drip Rail Mouldings

· Body Sill Mouldings

A78 Western Sport Special

• Includes A48 Dress Up Group
  • LH Outside Remote Mirror
  • Cigar Lighter
  • Body Sill Mouldings
  • Wheel Lip Mouldings
  • Woodgrain Sports Steering Wheel
  • Vinyl Roof
  • Wheel Covers (Class I)
  • White or Red Side Wall Tires
  • Western Sport Special Decal
G33 LH Outside Mirror

H51 A/C

M21 Drip Rail Moldings

M25 Body Sill Moldings

M33 Body Side Moldings

R11 AM Radio

V1T Tan Vinyl Roof

Y14 Sold Car

END End of Options

ID Information

Engine Vin Number: 159711 Matches Vin Number

Engine Block Casting Numbers: 2806030 66-69 273 ci

Transmission Vin Number: 9E159711 Matches Vin Number

Intake Manifold Casting Numbers: 2536559 68-69 273ci 2bbl

Exhaust Manifold Casting Numbers: Left 2780945 67-69 273ci

Right Can not see it.

Radiator Casting Numbers: 2949069 1969 22” 273ci with A/C

LH Rear Quarter - Stamp: E9 159711 Matches Vin Number

LH Radiator Support - Stamp: E9 159711 Matches Vin Number

Terms of Sale:

This car is sold “as-is/where is” with absolutely no warranty or guarantee expressed or implied. The information I have given is what I believe to be true, but since I have not owned this vehicle since it was new, I do not guarantee any of the information to be 100% accurate. Everyone has different opinions of things, especially automobiles. One man’s junk is another man’s treasure. My description is done in as accurate a manner as possible. If there is any area of this vehicle that is of concern to you, it is understood that you have satisfied yourself enough to make the purchase.

-
Back