1969 Plymouth Barracuda 383 4 spd for sale

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup the door panels are the right ones .Who knows 40 some years later the dash bezel and speedo may have been changed.

You are wrong. Argue all you want.

I agree with 68 formula s, 150 speedo was an option. My 69 has or should I say had the 120 speedo, I put the 150 in it. It had no tach, but hopefully will. Mine had drum brakes as well, but am swapping to the sbp 4 piston disc. It also has the 4spd console, and console was a seperate option, not part of the A53 pkg.

Hard to say on your car hosehead ,unless you have had the car since new that stuff could have been changed along the way.

Hard to say on your car hosehead ,unless you have had the car since new that stuff could have been changed along the way.

Yeah, I hear ya, but I seriously doubt it. My car had been off the road since 1976 when I got it. original paint, interior, etc. Im fairly certain that all that stuff is optional.

For what its worth my formula s is an early car and has the short reverse light bezels and the black door handle buttons which were obviously 68 stuff. And trust me, my car had NEVER been apart before I got it.

Yes it is hard to say,I was a high school kid 74 to 76 and a-body barracudas were already sitting in the very back row of the used car lots at that time with alot of stuff already changed on them.Even back in the day you just never saw alot of these cars to begin with let alone formula-s models.

The price is up there but this car seems to be very original.Even the exhaust pipes look like the factory one's.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the window sticker state clearly what the Formula S option consisted of?
Not much over the standard package.

Yup the door panels are the right ones .Who knows 40 some years later the dash bezel and speedo may have been changed.

The 69 383-S for sale in this ad has the window sticker. And I assume fender tag also. It might even have the build sheet.

The window sticker is enough to figure all the options that car had originally. The line item options listed don't go into heavy detail though. But it is all laid out right there. End of story.

If you would like to find out more details about those individual options check out the dealer ordering information, ie trim selectors, price guides, data books etc here: http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0009.jpg

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0010.jpg

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0011.jpg

NOT certain about the series 2 Barracuda's( 67,8,9) but the 64, 65 & 66 formula S came with the following:
1. 273 commando
2. rallye suspension & heavy duty shocks
3. wide rim wheels and special blue streak tires
4. 150 speedo & a readable tachomoter ( that replaces the vacumme guage)
5. wheel covers that simulate bolt on wheels

OPTIONAL equipment
1. center console
2. disc brakes ( most had them but they were OPTIONAL)

OTHER optional equipment :
AM radio
A/C
remote controlled mirror
power steering
power brakes
bumper guards
emergency flasher
tinted windsheild
tinted glass ( rest)
sure grip
vinyl roof covering
seat belt retractors
undercoating
trailer towing package

NO magic info here guys just READ the sales brochure...it tells you pretty specifically what does & dosen't come with a formula S

CLutch: of course in 74 - 76, barracuda's would be at the back of the used car lot....no one knew then what they might be worth, back then they were just 5- 10 year old used cars and the DEMON & DUSTER 340's had already hit the road!

Interesting quick observations,120 speedo,formula-s seats front and back but no wood grain on the dash and no formula-s door panels with wood grain zero console.Someone changed some things along the way.

I have one of these, and mine is the same way, 120 speedo, tach, with the same seat covers, and woodgrain door panels, but no woodgrain on the dash.......... but i do have the console.

NOT certain about the series 2 Barracuda's( 67,8,9) but the 64, 65 & 66 formula S came with the following:
1. 273 commando
2. rallye suspension & heavy duty shocks
3. wide rim wheels and special blue streak tires
4. 150 speedo & a readable tachomoter ( that replaces the vacumme guage)
5. wheel covers that simulate bolt on wheels

OPTIONAL equipment
1. center console
2. disc brakes ( most had them but they were OPTIONAL)

OTHER optional equipment :
AM radio
A/C
remote controlled mirror
power steering
power brakes
bumper guards
emergency flasher
tinted windsheild
tinted glass ( rest)
sure grip
vinyl roof covering
seat belt retractors
undercoating
trailer towing package

NO magic info here guys just READ the sales brochure...it tells you pretty specifically what does & dosen't come with a formula S

CLutch: of course in 74 - 76, barracuda's would be at the back of the used car lot....no one knew then what they might be worth, back then they were just 5- 10 year old used cars and the DEMON & DUSTER 340's had already hit the road!

I think with the 2nd generation Barracudas, Chrysler saw an opportunity to make some more money by not including things like a tach and a 150mph speedometer but offer them as extras.

Yes you are right 66cuda most people did not ever see these cars having a second life and becoming desirable again.Especially after about 1979 when you couldn't give away anything with a big block nobody wanted them because of the gas crisis.The dusters and demons were also in the back row of the used car lots by 76,77 they were pretty much used and abused by that time also.Remember in the 60's and 70's car's were only financed for 24 to 36 months.So you figure a 69 barracuda was already paid off by 71 or 72.Then the parents sold them to the kids for 8 or 900 bucks.By 75,76 they were thrashed and in the back row of the used car lot.

Don't want to seem like i am picking on the car but am curious for my future references, since i will be selling one of these soon myself.........
Maybe someone can answer this question, what about the 741 casing in the rear, shouldn't that be at least a 742 and more than likely a 489 ?

This car has some amazing paperwork to go with the car.All the years I have been around mopar's I have never seen a list for one of these cars. It does appear that you ordered some items like a console or tach or 150 speedo separately and thats probably how ma mopar boosted the profits a little.

Does this car have disc brakes ?

Like the others have said disc brakes were not part of the S package but were optional. Naturally it seems that disc brakes would be standard equipment with the large V/8 engines but it was not the case. I owned a 440/6 pack Super Bee and it had only drum brakes all around.

Nice car ,I thought disk brakes were not mandatory until the 70 340 duster pkg came along.

Disc brakes weren`t mandated until 1976 but by the early 70`s they were gathering a lot of support, especially in the performance cars.

Don't want to seem like i am picking on the car but am curious for my future references, since i will be selling one of these soon myself.........
Maybe someone can answer this question, what about the 741 casing in the rear, shouldn't that be at least a 742 and more than likely a 489 ?

I believe all a-body cars came with a 741 if it had the 8 3/4 rear.

For the most part you`ll find 741 cases in 67, 742 cases in 68, and 489 cases in 69. The 741 case continues to show up after 69 though. In A-bodies the 741 case was superceded by the 742 case in `68, then it was superceded by the 489 case in `69. Like many other parts that Chrysler outfitted their cars with there`s usually some overlap in parts from one model year to the next. I`ve had 68`s with both the 741 and the 742 cases, for example my early build 68 Dart has the 741 case and my late built Barracuda has the 742. I would not be surprised to see a 489 case show up in some late model 68`s or for a 742 to appear in an early build 69.

Somebody mentioned the door buttons in an earlier post, although most every 68 will have black door handle buttons, some early builds like my Dart will have chrome buttons. Chrysler didn`t waste anything.

not worthy?

cars-car shows 009.jpg

1972 dodge demon 012.jpg

intersting TID BIT....I have a friend who was a Mopar salesman back in the 60's & 70's....he parlayed some interesting info regarding the Order Sheet. When ordering a Formula S car( or any other high performace vehicle) thier "instructions" from Chrysler sales training was to automatically check the box's with the rallye instrument cluster and and 1 or 2 other "desirable" options and more or less talk you into leaving the box's checked.... You dont want a performace car with a STANDARD SPEEDO OR NO TACHOOMETER do you? most people would say "er ahhhh..... NO" AND you dont WANT a performance car without performace braking do you? again most would say ....NO! do you really want to shift you car from the column like grandma?....errr ahhh No!!
This was in fact a sales ploy by which to increase overall sales income! BUT some did ask..... how much is that? for each item and then said no a standard speedo is fine! etc etc etc Hence the BLEND we find today

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back