1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 318

-

Card Fan

1969 Barracuda F-Back 318
Reaction score
Just starting work on getting this bad boy back on the road as a daily driver.
It's stock and been sitting for almost 20 years. Lots of miles, over 400k.

As an opening question, what sort of oil should I be looking at?

Thanks.

Before or after checking the inside of the motor?

Before. I'm planning on replacing the fluids etc, getting it running, then going from there.

At 400,000 miles or is it 4,000 miles? If at 4,000 miles 5(or10)w-30 with a zinc additive poured in as well. At 400,000, I'd pull the motor and take a good look inside. If everything looks good, I'd do a basic bearing change and new gaskets with a new cam calling it a day. Same oil either way.

Welcome to the site. Very nice car your starting with.

I agree with the zinc oil/additive. Probably should treat is as a break in, keeping the r's up, if it hasn't run in a while. Although with 400k, i'd pretty much bet it's been into before, maybe a few times?

I think that the head gasket was replaced in around 85-87. Not sure other than that.

Any specifics brands of oil that are high in zinc, or any additives? Also, what viscosity?

I used to live in California. When I left in 1990, I took with me a 66 Sport Fury, 66 Convertible Valiant, and a 68 Plymouth Barracuda. The Fish has been sitting minus drive train for some time and I hope to get on it this summer. FABO is not only a great forum for really good how to info, the members here can find what you need at good prices. They will take good care of you. What part of California do you reside?

-
Back