1970 340 SHORTBLOCK OR BOAT ANCHOR?

-

SpeedyDart68

Just say no to trailer queens!
Reaction score
Question, can this be fixed/saved? If so, who do you recommend? Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbsup:
IMG_1395.jpg
IMG_1397.jpg
IMG_1397.jpg
IMG_1399.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

Yes but you will want to find a good welder to do it. It will need proper pre-heating, weld with nickel rod and cooled properly(slow). Basically your going to need to weld the holes up solid and re-drill them.

Not saying anything that already hasn't been said, but take it to a machine/fabrication shop that does powder flow torch welding.

Never used the spray weld but I have a friend who does it. Its usually used to build up shafts where they are worn. I dont know how well it would work in a situation like this.

How about the composite molding steel crap at the parts store counter. Lol

How much is it worth? It's one hole and the locator still makes it, right?

Last edited:
Braze a bolt into the original hole then redrill it. Or braze a piece into the gap that is missing metal then redrill it. Or braze up the entire hole and redrill it. Or leave it alone. Or send it to me... I'll pay the freight.

Unless this was an extravagant engine build with high power, I’d leave that alone. The dowel pin takes all the load here. Smooth it with a file and put in a brand new dowel then gently clamp on a washer and nut. Spray metal, arc weld, etc will cost way too much money and probably damage the block. To keep that surface true, you have to bolt on a flange like the transmissions to prevent the block flange from warping under heat.

Last edited:
My friend welds many alloys 8 hours a day for decades. Stick, mig, tig. A little preheating and tig a nice stud there , no sweat. Then we zyglo test

No piece? I agree 100% with @Krooser. I'd buy a small square of cast iron, machine the corner of the ear to match and braze that into place and redo the holes. Welding on CI is always a *****, and has too many quirks, brazing goes around that with much higher strength than you'd think.

I agree, braze is a solid repair on cast iron. Just as strong as the cast in my opinion.
Hey, I have an old poly 318 block sitting in my scrap pile. I can cut a big chunk out and send it to you.

I'm not a welder by far, but I'd put a dowel pin back in the hole, braze or weld back around that and then just leave the side of the bolt hole open after grinding it back round at the dowel weld/braze. Then I'd get an ARP or McMasterCarr hardened STUD, nut and washer to use there (the threads are in the bellhousing) instead of the factory bolt. I wouldn't be scared of it one bit, as once it's alogned with the dowel, it is under compression as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Easy fix for a good welder clean it up , preheat , build it up with nickel rod , grind back into shape and redrill and rethread $100-200

As mentioned you could install the dowel pin and braze it to the block... really I wouldn’t worry about running it the way it is. Install the dowel pin and bolt on the trans. My race motor has two mounting lugs broken off the block... no big deal.

-
Back