1970 360?

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
There's a guy selling a 1970 360 out of a motor home here. I haven't seen it yet, but was wondering if ma mopar produced a 360 in 1970? And if you guys think it might be worth picking up. Says it has 67000 miles on it and wants $300.

Hi,
yes they built in 1970 360 engines, but they were for 1971 C-Bodys

There were some 1970 'C' bodies with 360s.
They were installed in higher line Dodge 4 door hardtops.
There is supporting documentation for this, in the form of a
TSB.
Unfortunately, there is nothing supporting it's usage in anything else during 1970, no trucks, no vans, nothing.

Mark.

Was there a 361 truck engine? It would be a "B" motor of course. I know there were 361's in cars for years, but did it not carry on in trucks? Its possible that early 71 360's would have 70 casting dates. If there is any documentary evidence of 360's installed in any 1970 model year vehicles, I would love to see it. Its also more than likely that the original 318 was replaced with a 360 somewhere in time. Hope you get to the bottom of it. The 71 360 is a very nice engine to work with.

Well from what I have heard that is the 360 to build into the "bad boy" with it's thicker casting..

Yup, the 1970 360 has the thinker casting because it also was the casting for the 4.040" bore of the 340. For $300, grab it!

Check out the numers and decode it and find out what it is. Grab the fender code info you will get to the bottom of it eventually!

Early '71 production would have a casting date from April 1970 on. MaMopar liked to let her castings sit for 6 months before machining and assembly. The 360 came on line for the '71 model year and were initially available in Dodge and Plymouth C bodies. Owned a '71 Fury Sport Suburban wagon and that thing would move. Only problem I had with it was keeping motor mounts from separating. Good starting point.

Well I bought this motor last night. It came out of a 71 motorhome.
The casting number on the block is 3418496.5.360.

I couldn't make out the numbers on the heads, but there is a big J embossed in the heads by the exaust ports.

It also has a 727 that came with it. I got it all for $250.

Its fairly clean, I pulled the valve covers last night and there is some surface rust inside on the top of the heads and the push rods.
So guess I'll pull it apart and give it a overhaul.

I had a 360 with a date of 70, I have one with 71 and another with 72. I gave 200-300 for each of them running.

I'll have to look tonight and see if I can find a date stamp somewhere on it.
She was pretty sure it came out of a 71.
But we all know how reliable (I think or as I remember) is!

Well I bought this motor last night. It came out of a 71 motorhome.
The casting number on the block is 3418496.5.360.

I couldn't make out the numbers on the heads, but there is a big J embossed in the heads by the exaust ports.

It also has a 727 that came with it. I got it all for $250.

Its fairly clean, I pulled the valve covers last night and there is some surface rust inside on the top of the heads and the push rods.
So guess I'll pull it apart and give it a overhaul.

SCORE!!

-
Back