1970 challenger 340 6 pack TA

-
Is this "FOR CERTAIN" matching numbers, matching engine, original cylinder heads, etc? There's a LOT of years "under her belt" here and a "lot of wind" through those sails so to speak

Engine and trans are in the garage. Untouched and complete.

It has the carbs, intake, exhaust manifolds on it.

There are several thing that you still need to make sure they are correct to the car. The more correct the car is and the more factory documentation it has the more value it has. With that said it does still appear from the pictures and the fact the engine and trans are out that it will need a restoration and to do correctly will not be cheap. Let us know how it goes. Matt

Well, the most difficult part of this whole endeavor
Is convincing my wife of a 4th classic car. It will be our
First Chrysler so maybe that's the angle I'll come from.

I need the codes for the heads, exhaust manifolds, distributor, carb, intake to verify 100%.

I'll look thru the 70 TA website to see if it provides the codes I need to

Verify this car. The motor appears unrestored but clean.

i'm with 68383gts on this....do as little as you have to and drive it.that might be a once in a lifetime find.

awesome find!

Block will have T/A in raised letters on the left side (below spark plug 5 & 7 just above freeze plug), and pull the valve covers, intake rockers are offset, easy to spot.

I am curious as why the motor is out also. Look at the serial on the transmission (pad on passenger side). Last eight of the vin must appear on the transmission.

So vehicle is apart, has rust problems, fenders, rear window and who knows where else. Not all adding up for me.

The motor is out because this guy was going to go thru it. He had a stroke and can't get around very well any more. He has a beautiful shop
With just about everything you would need to rebuild an
Engine but can't do the work any more.

The car is worth what you are willing to pay for it. You need to decide what your intentions for the car would be. If originality is important then due your homework, get documentation, verify all numbers and contact Barry.If it would be a driver then see why is the motor out of the car and check all the mechanics. If it would be an investment then due all of the above. If you plan to restore it you will not get your money out of it any time soon unless you can personally do majority of the work. Based on the information I would agree with your target price. However being that I have a soft spot for T/A's I would probably pay more. That being said you can buy the car and sell it to me for a few dollars more. If you decide to pass on it or can't make a deal let me know as I would be interested. Good Luck!

Well, the most difficult part of this whole endeavor
Is convincing my wife of a 4th classic car. It will be our
First Chrysler so maybe that's the angle I'll come from.

So this will be your first ACTUAL classic car then. LOL

This is a once in lifetime opportunity.
If the serial number on the car and motor match and are that of a T/A, I wouldnt even hesitate an offer.
Take $25,000 cash with you and lay $20 k on the table after you chat him up for a while. Sounds like his life has changed and he probably has his mind on others things now.
CASH TALKS!!!!

Would also love to see more pictures.

This is a once in lifetime opportunity.
If the serial number on the car and motor match and are that of a T/A, I wouldnt even hesitate an offer.
Take $25,000 cash with you and lay $20 k on the table after you chat him up for a while. Sounds like his life has changed and he probably has his mind on others things now.
CASH TALKS!!!!

Would also love to see more pictures.

I agree with taking $25K in your pocket but may even lay less on the table up front being he is a Chevy guy. I would make sure to look for the VIN# on the block above the oil pan rail first. If it matches pick a day where the weather is crappy (changes sellers mood sometimes) and put $15K cash on the table making sure he knows you have more so he doesn't get frustrated. If he gets excited start talking about the things that aren't right or are a major concern....go from there.

I personally would not have an issue paying $25K for that car if the numbers match. My problem would be not being able to see it in person like you have and getting it back close to the Great White North.

Or you could buy a new Chevy Tahoe for $40000 and drive it for 20 years and sell it for $1000.. I would rather break even with a T/A Challenger..

Or he could buy a new challenger! With the shaker for a few grand more
and still have something that won't hold its value.
So I'm still with SleeperScamp on this one lol.

I just read the new posts, a few notes;

Manual steering was standard on these cars, power steering & fast ratio power steering were both optional. The fast ratio box will have TA cast in large letters.

The heads are 915 castings, same as a 360. They may have J, O, U or Z cast in them near the spark plug holes. The only difference in the T/A heads is the offset drilled holes for the intake rockers.

The exhaust manifolds are the same for all 1970 340 cars.

The front fenders are the same as any other 1970 Challenger.

But the T/A's have the 15 inch fenders right?If I remember right on my brothers T/A the is a bracket inside the fender that is different so it can clear the 15" tires...

The next AAR & T/A Reunion is set for the 2015 Carlisle show also.

Cars do not have to be 'show cars' to take them to a car show. :)

and still have something that won't hold its value.
So I'm still with SleeperScamp on this one lol.
Don't really see the comparison logic with the Tahoe, will he be driving this T/A as a daily driver? Compare it to other collectable commodities like a Boss 302, or a Z28.. LOL 20 to 25K would be a good buy if its all numbers matching and block is a numbers T/A with the original carbs etc.. but if the block is not or if missing the intake ,carbs,cleaner and some of the other "little" stuff it quickly turns into a average or not so good deal. I understand the excitement of the "FIND" but this cars value is in the details.

-
Back