1970 Chevelle 396

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

340 RR

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sorry to be uploading a chevy question in here but you guys are so knowledgeable regarding mopars and I know y'all will be able to help with this. I'm gonna try to get this 1970 chevelle with a 396 started tomorrow after, roughly, 3 years of sitting. I went to see the car earlier today and pulled out the battery so that I could charge it. I had a question in regards to an open nipple. I just wanted to say beforehand, sorry for the bad pictures. I didn't think I'd be uploading a question regarding this so I didn't get a great pic. Now, looking at the pics attached, it shows one open nipple on top of the evap canister. I thought these canisters had multiple connections in which they connect to the gas tank and the carb. My 73 roadrunner has 3 hoses connecting to the canister. Does anyone know where this one nipple is supposed to route to? It seems like a tiny hose would go on it and I doubt that tiny hose would go all the way to the gas tank so I'm assuming carb. Just looking to figure this out so that I don't have vacuum leaks anywhere making it tougher to start the car. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

IMG_0314.PNG

IMG_0313.jpg

1st. If that Battery has been sitting there for over 3 years not being charged or or even tended to. I would be getting another battery, soon. It may work for now but it'll flake out on you in a short amount of time.
2nd. (pic is kinda hard to see) Is the Carb original or does have an aftermarket like Edelbrock, Holley, etc.?
A lot of these evap canisters are basically charcoal filled units that are designed to mitigate fuel vapors coming from the fuel tank.
The basics are usually the small steel tube coming from the fuel tank is the tank vent pipe (usually 1/4 inch) going to the engine bay, from then a small hose connects to the evap canister, and then a vent out from the canister goes into the carb or manifold. Some of canisters do have ID or letters to help show which is which.
Again I am basing this on my Duster, old Jeeps and Dodge trucks I had but the concept should be about the same.
Here is something that may or may not help you:
0900c152801daa33-3810032754.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Sorry to be uploading a chevy question in here but you guys are so knowledgeable regarding mopars and I know y'all will be able to help with this. I'm gonna try to get this 1970 chevelle with a 396 started tomorrow after, roughly, 3 years of sitting. I went to see the car earlier today and pulled out the battery so that I could charge it. I had a question in regards to an open nipple. I just wanted to say beforehand, sorry for the bad pictures. I didn't think I'd be uploading a question regarding this so I didn't get a great pic. Now, looking at the pics attached, it shows one open nipple on top of the evap canister. I thought these canisters had multiple connections in which they connect to the gas tank and the carb. My 73 roadrunner has 3 hoses connecting to the canister. Does anyone know where this one nipple is supposed to route to? It seems like a tiny hose would go on it and I doubt that tiny hose would go all the way to the gas tank so I'm assuming carb. Just looking to figure this out so that I don't have vacuum leaks anywhere making it tougher to start the car. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

View attachment 1716277624

View attachment 1716277625
This a joke?

The '72 Mopar models had ported vacuum nipples......At least A bodies did.

I don't believe the OP meant it as a joke. Here on this site, a lot of us have had experience with multiple makes and models of cars over the years. I for one will answer questions about other makes of vehicles if I have the knowledge, and I'm sure others will also.

1st. If that Battery has been sitting there for over 3 years not being charged or or even tended to. I would be getting another battery, soon. It may work for now but it'll flake out on you in a short amount of time.
2nd. (pic is kinda hard to see) Is the Carb original or does have an aftermarket like Edelbrock, Holley, etc.?
A lot of these evap canisters are basically charcoal filled units that are designed to mitigate fuel vapors coming from the fuel tank.
The basics are usually the small steel tube coming from the fuel tank is the tank vent pipe (usually 1/4 inch) going to the engine bay, from then a small hose connects to the evap canister, and then a vent out from the canister goes into the carb or manifold. Some of canisters do have ID or letters to help show which is which.
Again I am basing this on my Duster, old Jeeps and Dodge trucks I had but the concept should be about the same.
Here is something that may or may not help you:
View attachment 1716277635
This a joke?
My apologies if this was added to the wrong section in the forum, I wasn’t sure where to put it. I figured that it was a pretty general question considering these evap canisters are similar from brand to brand. I’m in some Chevy forums but I have trouble getting responses and the members here are active and know more than just mopar.

I don't believe the OP meant it as a joke. Here on this site, a lot of us have had experience with multiple makes and models of cars over the years. I for one will answer questions about other makes of vehicles if I have the knowledge, and I'm sure others will also.
Thank you demonracer

Love 70-72 chevelles (all my buddies had them when i was a teen) we cut up soo many ss's and rare ones.. in the 80s no one gave a ****...pretty good cars.. hope it goes well :)

Thank you guys! I’ll post better pics when I see the car again in a couple hours. Sorry for the bad first couple of pictures but I figured I’d still post it in case someone was able to recognize it. Max, that would make a lot of sense as I believe there is only one nipple on the entire jug and that is why it confused me as being an evap can.

Thank you guys! I’ll post better pics when I see the car again in a couple hours. Sorry for the bad first couple of pictures but I figured I’d still post it in case someone was able to recognize it. Max, that would make a lot of sense as I believe there is only one nipple on the entire jug and that is why it confused me as being an evap can.
Well, if that's the case I wouldn't hook that to vacuum.

Even if it is an Evap cannister, it won't cause the car not to start if it isn't hooked up. Just make sure that there are no open vacuum ports or lines from the carb, PB booster, etc before you crank it up. Good luck with the fire up!

:thumbsup:

Even if it is an Evap cannister, it won't cause the car not to start if it isn't hooked up. Just make sure that there are no open vacuum ports or lines from the carb, PB booster, etc before you crank it up. Good luck with the fire up!

:thumbsup:
Thank you! I will check to make sure there are no open vacuum ports or lines.

I have looked through my pictures on my phone and I unfortunately don't have any pics of the engine compartment of my brother's SS454 Chevelle to compare with, but my 76 Ventura has two lines from the charcoal canister, one to the fuel tank and one to a vacuum port on the carb. I can't tell from the pictures that you posted what the item in question is.

I dig all years of Chevelles up to 72.
I have fond memories of cruising in my best friends 64 SS, he`s had the car since a teenager. I`ve been on him to fix it up and get it back on the road, for decades, ratty or not. :(

You should remove the distributor and prime the oiling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back