1970 dart disc/drum conversion

-

greendart

greendart
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to this site & I am interested in swapping out my front drum brakes to disc on my 70 dart should I go find a disc setup @ a junk yard or with a new kit from SSBC or Master power brakes etc any tips or ideas? thanks Steve

If you can find a 73 or newer A Body setup in the JY, that's the way to go. You'll need everything from the Upper Control Arms down. And get the MC and proportioning valve also.

Hi greendart.

Like you,I also have a 70 Dart with drums all around. I got lucky though and found a freshly wrecked donor car. Brakes were all brand new but the young driver had rolled the car into a field and totalled it. Plus the younger fella that bought it for parts only wanted the drivetrain. So I stole the entire set up for $125. Booster,master lines,propotionng valve, spindles,bearings ,calipers,rotors, etc etc etc.

And it's small bolt pattern 4 piston kelsey hayes,so I dont need to redrill the rear axles for LBP. Factory rims will work etc..

I'd say this is the most straight forward deal as it's simply bolt on and there is no changing control arms or bolt pattern. However,they can be a maintenance pain,but...

I plan on having my calipers and master rebuilt by SSBC so they should perform much better. KH 4 pistons have a tendency to stick when the car sits for a while,but this is easily solved by using silicone brake fluid. The shelf upon which the pads ride tends to get worn with grooves in hi mileage cars,but this can be welded up and then filed smooth.

The later calipers from A bodies will work,but this changes your bolt pattern,which is a plus if you want better rim selection. Later brakes also tend to be lower maintenance. Only disadvantage being you need to drill the axles or replace with LBP axles,just so you have a matching bolt pattern all the way round.

I believe you need to change the upper control arms for later brakes,so whichever donor car you find,grab them as well.

Yeah I wish I had 10" drums! I have 9" suicide brakes on my car. Can't do anything else to the motor until I fix that. I need everything....Control arms included.

I would be willing to sell my 10" front drum set up cheap,but its manual breaks. Make an offer if you want it.

The stuff is still on the car,but shouldn't take long to pull. I think the shoes are cracked though...

-
Back