1970 Dart First Restoration. Help Appreciated!

-

JungleCrow

Reaction score
:hello2:

I have had this Dart sitting around for awhile. I have been bored lately with all the small house projects being done and waiting to accumulate some funds for new floors. In the mean time I figured I would get a jump on the Dart. This is my first restoration and Im lacking on knowledge in some areas. Mostly body stuff and where to find some good replacement panels or patch metal.

Right now I have most of it dissasembled. I still need to remove the quarter glass, pedal assembly, wiper assembly, suspension, k member, etc. As you can see in the photos, I need to patch or replace the cowl, the floor pans, and the rear section (not sure the name). Would it be better to replace or repair?

Here are a few photos. Yes, I have a helper. :D

Attachments

• DSC_2659.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC_2660.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC_2665.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_2605.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC_2662.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 311
What is the best way to get all that joint sealant off? Ive been using a metal putty knife.

Attachments

• DSC_2661.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 314
I have been blasting the problem areas with Black Diamond but was told to use stripper on the outside body. I picked up some rustoleum aircraft stripper. It takes about 3 coats to get down to primer. Is that normal? Is there something stronger I could use and buy at a store?

Attachments

• DSC_2668.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 323
on the cowl area just get some scap metal layin around an old door or hood would be great to cut patch panels out of.use a torch to heat up the sealant and scrape it off with a putty knife. and as for stripping the paint you could always go old school and use a rasor blade and scrape it off.

on the cowl area just get some scap metal layin around an old door or hood would be great to cut patch panels out of.use a torch to heat up the sealant and scrape it off with a putty knife. and as for stripping the paint you could always go old school and use a rasor blade and scrape it off.

JMO, but I'm +1 with this unless you're trying to do a complete/correct resto. As mentioned above, doors, hoods, roofs, or trunk lids make great donors...

Good start. Im a rookie, myself. Mostly what im learning is patience when doing this. Lots of small jobs done with care equal a great looking car.

Ya, this is just a resto-mod. I want my body to look good but doesnt have to be factory spec. I dont have any stuff laying around for patches. I was told in another thread to look for some 10xx 18 gauge steel. Heard Lowes has some. Will start there. Actually, to save money, I plan on patching anything I can. Worst part of the car is the floor pans. I dont care if they stay factory. I dont have the factory seating anyhow. Someone threw in some buckets off of some other car and didnt support the inner mounting holes. Not sure what to do with seating. A design project Ill have to think about later.

I have the welding and mechanical skills but this is my first full car project. Im definitely gonna need some guidance as I go such as what steps to take and the little tricks of the trade. One question that has been in the back of my mind for future panel removal. Will I need to support my car, based on the areas I plan to fix, by tack welding in some support rods?

I appreciate the help! :blob:

I got a question. What grit should I use once the car is stripped to primer and I want to take it down to metal?

80 grit is good, as it gives metal some "tooth" for the primer to bite. You can use it to take the paint off as well. Much easier, IMO, than the mess and time of aircraft stripper.

80 grit is good, as it gives metal some "tooth" for the primer to bite. You can use it to take the paint off as well. Much easier, IMO, than the mess and time of aircraft stripper.

Thanks! Ya, the strippers just dont work as hard as they use to.

Thanks! Ya, the strippers just dont work as hard as they use to.

That's because they have to meet all the environmental and safety regulations. The stuff we used to get 25 years ago would eat through 5 layers of paint and the primer with one application. Of course, it also made your fingers tingle, even through heavy rubber gloves, and lord help you if you accidentally splashed any on bare skin.......

Your cowl area looks just like mine did in my 70 Dart. To fix mine I had bought a parts car for the cowl panel as well as other items. In my case I don't have any body or welding skills so i paid for a body shop to replace the complete panel. Once the shop got the old panel out found out that my rust problems went a little deeper. The vent area was rusted as well. The body shop fixed that part and welded on the replacement panel.

Ive always ripped off that old paint with a DA and 80 grit. it goes faster than you think. screw the chemical stripper . keep your sanding discs fresh and just don't sit in one area. constant adequate air pressure is key.

I'm in the same boat you are. Never down any type of restoration, just mechanical stuff. You want some inspiration? check out my resto thread. Slow and steady wins the race. Be prepared to find rust and crp where you least expect it. Have fun. I look forward to watching your progress!!!

I have been blasting the problem areas with Black Diamond but was told to use stripper on the outside body. I picked up some rustoleum aircraft stripper. It takes about 3 coats to get down to primer. Is that normal? Is there something stronger I could use and buy at a store?
I used the aircraft stripper from Oreilly's (forget the name) then cover the stripper with plastic wrap (like from your kitchen). the stripper evaporates and it quits working before it can react with all the paint. once you cover it wait 30 minutes or so and it will peel off like butter.

I'm in the same boat you are. Never down any type of restoration, just mechanical stuff. You want some inspiration? check out my resto thread. Slow and steady wins the race. Be prepared to find rust and crp where you least expect it. Have fun. I look forward to watching your progress!!!

Thanks! That is really motivating stuff. I have an updated photo I will need to put up tomorrow.

-
Back