1970 Dart "Hidden" VIN Where's it at??

-

ab7fh

Reaction score
I had a guy from the state of AZ MVD come out to do a VIN inspection on my car so I could complete the title work. He checked the fender tag, door tag and dash tag, but he said there was one more stamped number on the body of the car.

He was sure it would be on the firewall or the core support. While there were a few numbers on each, none were what he was looking for.

Does anyone know for sure where they would be??:dontknow:

Try the rear speaker deck, from inside the trunk, can also be under the trunk seal. Although I am surprised it was not on the rad support (typically under the antifreeze sticker), unless it has been replaced at some point.

Best of luck.

I think there is one on the trunk lip where the seal is.

I've read that somewhere else, but all I found were apparent part numbers, as they were labeled with L and R. That was under the seal on either side of the trunk. Those are the only numbers I have uncovered so far.

The car has been repainted, so there's a chance it would be covered. However I did run my fingers along the backside and only noticed bumps where the part numbers were stamped.

Just got in the trunk and checked the speaker deck. Again more part #s but no VIN:(

the number on the rad support can be hard to see mine is on the drivers side of the support. The one one the package tray is stamped on the top side next to the left side speaker hole you'll have to remove the board to find it

I found them on my 1970 duster on the rad support crossmember and under the trunk seal in the center by the rear window.

just my opinion, but shouldn't the numbers that were checked be sufficient?

I thought it would have been. I was unaware of any hidden VINs. The officer said that without a stamp on the shell of the car all the other VINs are removable and could easily be swapped from vehicle to vehicle.

The one one the package tray is stamped on the top side next to the left side speaker hole you'll have to remove the board to find it

I'll check that out in a little while. Thanks.

the rad support should be a shipping order #? that matches the fender tag? you may have to grind paint away for the sake of registering your car.

Yup A friend of mine is 72 yr old (old school) mopar man. He told me how to reproduce those hex pop rivets with a 6mm socket. Not that I'll use that info but thats the officers POV. Good luck

The government kills me, they think everyone is a criminal. The state of washington used to do the same thing and have the state police inspect out of state vehicles until finally with enough negative feedback from the public that if the car has a valid state title from any state that title should be treated as a legal document and transfer it without an inspection. This is exactly what they do now.

Since you have been accused of being a criminal in AZ and have to prove your innocence the numbers should be in places like the other guys have mentioned because I have seen them myself in these locations. I have also seen a VIN stamped on the right frame rail outside in the area below and just rear of the firewall on one car.

Chuck

I'm screwed... Not to be found anywhere. My only thought is that the core support had been replaced at some time.

Nothing on the rear deck, nothing under the trunk seal, didn't see it on the frame or the firewall...

Now I have to get a bonded title which means I have to put up 10% of the cars declared value as a bond.:rolleyes:

On a 70 Dart most likely on the trunk lip.

here's where one set of numbers on my swinger were located, Windsor built car:
100_0101.jpg

Passenger side where the sharpie is located, under the weatherstrip.

I can get you a CA title pretty easy as long as you have the VIN tag and door sticker. Car has to be here to do it though. Have you thought about going with a title service? MVD dude seems like overkill and should have known where to look for the VIN.

100_0101.jpg

100_0101.jpg

Similar stamping on drivers side of my 67s and the 68

Boy how times of changed. Remember registering my vehicles with a scrap of paper.

Not to get off topic (I know now it's bad), but of course this brings up one of those humorous stories. Please be aware I am not attempting to hijack this thread, and the following contains no information as to any further locations of VIN stampings (although I have found them in above posted locations), so continuing to read this indicates your willingness to spend an extra minute or two of your time with no practical benefit.

My insurance on my legally registered car had run out at the end of February, and I had been driving my winter beater 74 Dart 4-door on the wrong plates for months. My plates had been expired for almost a week when I could finally afford to renew my insurance. Of course, being a procrastinator I waited until the last minute and left 30 minutes before the local insurance company closed. Being like 30 below, I had a little trouble starting the unplugged 318, but finally got er fired up. I grabbed my "bill of sale" and raced to the insurance company arriving with over three minutes to spare. Once inside, the helpful lady behind the counter started the process when she noticed there was no VIN# on the paper. I explained that I lived very close and could get the number quickly if she could wait. She agreed, and I ran out the front, around the corner, and wrote the VIN on the paper. Not wanting to appear that I had the unregistered car there, I lit a smoke to pass a couple of minutes before going back in. Standing next to the car watching traffic go by, I was startled by a voice asking me whether I got the number. Sure enough, she was standing outside behind the office having a smoke. We kinda laughed, finished our smokes and went in and finished off the paperwork.

Grant

Don't give up, its definately on the trunk lip. On mine, it was at the bottom near the center, it might be impossible to see if it was painted. You might have to sand or strip it to find it. It looks like it was printed on with a dot matrix printer (a series of dots that form a number or letter).

DISCLAIMER! The following is anecdotal & will not help anybody in finding the V.I.N.s stamped on their vehicle! It will probably contribute little, if at all, to the betterment of your life in any way. Read at your own risk.

The DMV would probably laugh at me. My 33 year old title looks almost like something from a copy machine. When I go to register my car in this state I'll have to switch the title over. I plan to claim I lost my title so that I can get a new one from my old state. That way I can hang onto my original one to show all of the young pups what a cheesy lookin' thing it is.

On my 69 GTS the radiator support was never stamped. They just missed it all together.

That happened from time to time. They also almost missed on the trunk stamp. Probably a rough Monday morning for the stamping guy.

I have seen screwed up body stamps on LOTS of A Bodies. If I remember correctly my 71 340 Demon has one of the "1's" missing on the radiator stamp. It is 5 hours away at my in-laws ranch in storage right now otherwise I would go take a picture for you.

Keep looking on the rear deck / Package tray. Also the trunk lip. All of my 69's are stamped on the drivers side of the trunk lip under the seal. BUT.... None of them are in the exact same spot. It is like they had a stamp, and the car was going buy at 20mph and the just hit it where they could LOL.

Up to 68 models they did not stamp the VIN on the body stamps, it was the order number and should match the fender tag. From 69 on it was the VIN that was stamped on the body stamps.

We get e-mails at the GTS registry from folks all the time asking about their VIN stamps on their cars. Most of the time it is a 68 owner that thinks they have been cheated because the body stamp doesn't match the VIN. Boy are they relieved when we have them look at the order number on the fender tag LOL.

It will be several weeks or more before I head back to my in-laws place. I will check on the Demon, and on my 70 Duster to see where they are stamped. If I can remember LOL.

-Dave

71Demon340.jpg

On my 69 GTS the radiator support was never stamped. They just missed it all together.

That happened from time to time. They also almost missed on the trunk stamp. Probably a rough Monday morning for the stamping guy.

I have seen screwed up body stamps on LOTS of A Bodies. If I remember correctly my 71 340 Demon has one of the "1's" missing on the radiator stamp. It is 5 hours away at my in-laws ranch in storage right now otherwise I would go take a picture for you.

Keep looking on the rear deck / Package tray. Also the trunk lip. All of my 69's are stamped on the drivers side of the trunk lip under the seal. BUT.... None of them are in the exact same spot. It is like they had a stamp, and the car was going buy at 20mph and the just hit it where they could LOL.

Up to 68 models they did not stamp the VIN on the body stamps, it was the order number and should match the fender tag. From 69 on it was the VIN that was stamped on the body stamps.

We get e-mails at the GTS registry from folks all the time asking about their VIN stamps on their cars. Most of the time it is a 68 owner that thinks they have been cheated because the body stamp doesn't match the VIN. Boy are they relieved when we have them look at the order number on the fender tag LOL.

It will be several weeks or more before I head back to my in-laws place. I will check on the Demon, and on my 70 Duster to see where they are stamped. If I can remember LOL.

-Dave

71Demon340.jpg

Demons and Dusters are generally stamped on the package tray shelf between the speaker hole and window, drivers side. This doesn't apply to fold down rear seat cars.

Nice Demon...

Thanks Crackedback,

It will be a long time before I start on the Demon. Lots of other projects ahead of it. It will be very cool when done, because it is a 4-Speed car with A/C and it is hard to go wrong with a black demon that has an orange interior LOL.

Now on the Vin's. It makes sense that the "Fastback / Demon /Duster/Dart Sports" would be different. If that is the case then the dart in question would have to have the stamping on the radiator support and somewhere on the trunk lip. I wonder if the different plants stamped them on different sides. The yellow dart shown earlier was stamped on the right side. All of the darts I have messed with were pre 1970, and were stamped on the left side.

-Dave

On my 70 Darts, the stamping is on the core support, varying from center to the drivers side. None are stamped very deep and are hard to find due to paint, even on original paint cars. As for the trunk lip, I'm not sure, haven't looked for them. On the two Demons I've had, the rear stamp s always on the package tray and can be seen by crawling up in the trunk and reading the number from the bottom. It's near the speaker hole on the drivers side like everyone else here has said.

I checked under there, but didn't see anything. I'll clean it up with some lacquer thinner since there is a bit of grime back there.

BTW, my core support looks like this:

DSC_0594.jpg

Bare as a babies butt... I didn't see any VIN on the core support before I took it down to bare metal. All that's there are part numbers. I'm thinking it was replaced after an accident.

-
Back