1970 Dart police cars????????

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just a topic of interest and for discussion. Does anybody know what years the Darts were actually used for police cars? The reason I ask is when my friend looked at the build sheets on the 1970 Dart Custom I brought home a while back, he said it was supposed to be a police car. Now we looked the car over and there is no structural addition in the roof for the light bar, in fact there is nothing related on the car. Did Dodge have and then lose the contract in 1970? I've been thinking, (if I could ever get to it!) that it would be cool to build a real "one of none" someday and maybe this could be it. I have googled and can't find any pictures of a 1970 Dart in police attire. If there ever was and anybody has pics, I would like to see them.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_1702.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_1703.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_1704.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_1705.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_1706.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 434
In Calgary we had a few mid 70's Valiants cop cars but they didn't last long I think they tried them out and then they gave them to city by law to drive around. Never did see any Darts.
Things you wish you took pictures of!

This is actually a fairly common question, it has been asked here before.

The Windsor plant either used their own F code system or the numbers used there are for something else entirely. It has nothing to do with police cars. If anyone has figured out why Windsor did their own thing in the regard or what their F-codes / numbers there mean compared to the ones used at other plants I have not heard of it yet.

From one of the broadcast sheets in my 1970 Swinger (2-door) also built at Windsor & my car is definitely not a cop car, it was originally ordered by a lady in Florida.

Attachments

• f code line.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 454
Thanx TA. I had no idea they did this. I guess the "one of none" really would be! I'll just chalk this up as another tidbit of interesting / confusing Mopar info.

From one of the broadcast sheets in my 1970 Swinger (2-door) also built at Windsor & my car is definitely not a cop car, it was originally ordered by a lady in Florida.

Almost all Swingers were built in Windsor
My 71 was purchased in Huntsville Alabama, built in Windsor
I've had a 70 from Florida & 72 Canadian Swinger, they were both built in Windsor

I didn't know that they had A-body cop cars. I thought that they were all B-bodies...

Except my dad's best friend was the mayor of Cal Park for 8 years back then. They had an unmarked 340 Duster that they have a few stories about....

I didn't know that they had A-body cop cars. I thought that they were all B-bodies...

Except my dad's best friend was the mayor of Cal Park for 8 years back then. They had an unmarked 340 Duster that they have a few stories about....

There was a police package A38 available in 1976 for Valiants and I think Darts too. That's it.

Police depts do use confiscated vehicles or regular vehicles for unmarked duty. They are not factory police package cars.

I think maybe I'll just keep this one around and build it to the build sheet specs. It could make for some very entertaining "conversations"!

L-1974-Dodge-Dart-Seattle-Police-Car-with-Seattle-s-King-Dome-1.jpg

74?

I was a member of the Colorado State Patrol during part of the 70's from 74. We ran Plymouth Fury III and Dodge Diplomat all with BB and 727.

Never saw any signs of any A bodies in those days. Most cities, at least here used the state bid process so were using the same type of vehicles till they realized how expensive they were to maintain and the fact they were not city cars.

Lots of good memories from back in those days. At one point our fleet maintenance division threatened to lock out 1st because of red line issues. We ran cars to 100k then and needless to say, we shelled a few.

Just a topic of interest and for discussion. Does anybody know what years the Darts were actually used for police cars? The reason I ask is when my friend looked at the build sheets on the 1970 Dart Custom I brought home a while back, he said it was supposed to be a police car. Now we looked the car over and there is no structural addition in the roof for the light bar, in fact there is nothing related on the car. Did Dodge have and then lose the contract in 1970? I've been thinking, (if I could ever get to it!) that it would be cool to build a real "one of none" someday and maybe this could be it. I have googled and can't find any pictures of a 1970 Dart in police attire. If there ever was and anybody has pics, I would like to see them.
I have a 1970 dart swinger 225 auto with
A38 police package. Funny it's a 2 door, maybe a detectives car or something. I see nothing extra special with the car, maybe I'll measure the torsion bars & count the springs out back. Did you find anything out ?

I have a 1970 dart swinger 225 auto with
A38 police package. Funny it's a 2 door, maybe a detectives car or something. I see nothing extra special with the car, maybe I'll measure the torsion bars & count the springs out back. Did you find anything out ?

Check and see if it has the taxi/ police/ fleet heavy duty wiring and alternator. The heavy alternator wire goes through a separate firewall grommet instead of the bulkhead connector

Check and see if it has the taxi/ police/ fleet heavy duty wiring and alternator. The heavy alternator wire goes through a separate firewall grommet instead of the bulkhead connector
I'll check the other parts of my broadcast sheet, the car is in another city & wrapped up in a thick tarp. Tied under the car and all the air came out of the tires

hope it's in a dry place...
Oh yeah nice & dry under cover as well. The car has a rotted roof from vinyl top neglect but other than that she is rust free f4 green.
But not for long, soon the body & interior will be the only stock appearing parts, but even all that will be modified. Making aluminum seat frames for my buckets, any brackets will be aluminum. All the dieting tricks will be done on this car, big block 471 stroker, caged & under 3k with me in it

I know where’s there’s a 70 former detective car. Originally black on black non vinyl top. Fifth digit is an H for 340. Has front disk power brakes with a sway bar. Car has a searchlight on the driver side. Car is sitting in a field in an area where sheet metal doesn’t rust. Motor and trans are long gone. Word I got it was ordered on a piggyback deal with a large metro police department and was used for narcotics work. I’m sworn to secrecy as to the exact location.

-
Back