1970 Ddge dart swinger 360 engine questions

-

schultec14

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1970 dodge dart swinger 2 door that I am building a 1974 360 steeel crank (stock stroke) small block engine for. I have what I think is a 340 mopar purple camshaft that I do not know the specs on, but I have the random numbers off of it. "F7" "1136" "C1" and on the end of the cam (back side of cam): 970799. If I could get any specs on this, it would be much appreciated. But, I want to run as much possible compression in it as I can on 93 octane pump gas. 9.3:1? 9.5:1? 9.7:1? 10:1? (I want to fit 340 standard size pistons in this engine out of the various sets i have with various dome amounts to replace the previous 8.4:1 dish pistons which only came up to .080" below deck height fully exended out.) I have a dual plane edelbrock performer 360 aluminum intake and an aliminum edelbrock single plane torker intake, 750 cfm 4 barrel...( ok size?), stock 1971 360 "J" heads for it completely redone (with the 1.88 intake and the 1.60 exhaust valves), 1 5/8" long tube headers, would like 2.25" dual exhausts all the way back, I would like to run a stock converter and drive it every other day or so with some good get up and go tire smoking power and something that will make power up to around 5500 rpm...(is the rpm range possible with the stock flow heads, with biggest cam allowance for my application, and one of the 2 intake combos?) If the cam I have is not for my application, then which one is?? And with max compression on pump gas, biggest cam allowed for my future application, how much horsepower should I expect, what kind of idle/ range of power do I get, and will I see any increase on torque over stock '71 specs?
Please Advise!!
-ANTHONY

I don't know what cam that is (book is out in the garage and it's -4 out side). Why do you want to run old 340 pistons? You can get some new ones for not much money, and get them for the deck hight you need. For a street car I would say run the dual plane intake, with a 650 cfm carb. If you want to run a bigger than stock cam (ie 284-484) you will want to look into a little looser converter. Go with 2 1/2 inch on the exhaust, same basic price and you have room to upgrade. As far as power, it all depends on the parte you pick, and how they work together.

-
Back