1970 Dodge Dart Swinger Disc Brake Swap Help Needed!

-

schultec14

Reaction score
Hi I have a V8 1970 dodge dart swinger that I recently put all new bushings in and and all new ball joints in. I converted it over to 1973 dodge dart front disc brakes and upper control arms. I had everything torn apart at the time. Now that I have it together, but not driven yet, both calipers are behind the spindles rather than being in front of the spindles like I have seen it in a few pictures now...are the spindles directional, and I NEED TO KNOW: will this throw the castor angle off?? I tried adjusting the upper control arm adjustments and it still looks like the angle of the spindles are still leaning foreward and I'm thinking it might steer like a shopping cart...and if I am wrong, and have to switch them around, what soft brake lines should I use?? and do I have to change the hard line spot where it would screw into the soft line?? Please advise!!
Thank you,
-ANTHONY

as long as the caliper bleeder screws are on top your ok
if they are on the bottom change them from side to side.
I find that when the calipers on the back side that the
rubber hose from a 73 and up b body car works better and
no change is needed for the rubber hose mount.Can't help you
with the caster angle

The alignment geometerty of the 2 spindles is the same so switching wont effect alignment
I know this wont sound right but... The calipers were mounted at the front or 11 o'clock position on 73 up models. That correct fluid hose was routed through behind the spindle and did not stretch or conflict with other parts.
When the calipers are mounted at the rear or 1 0'clock postion the fluid line could get stretched even though it's closer to the connecter point on the frame rail.
What I do is have the vehicle lifted so the knuckle drops as low as it can, then steer to end stop. Then I bend the steel tube portion of the fluid hose just enough to relieve the stretch. Dont allow it to bend at the square block end or it will crack. Dont bend it up so far that it hits the wheel.
Some say there is a longer hose found on F-body that works without the bending.
Hope this helps.

The hose routing works better if the calipers are mounted ahead of the spindles. If you insist on mounting the calipers to the rear then what you want to get are the late model FMJ calipers that were designed to be rear mounted. Then get a set of custom brake hoses and you'll be in good shape. Any other setup is most likely a hack job based on what I've seen.

That's the whole point of having camber. Your front end is designed so that the wheels try to go back to straight after a turn.

To avoid more confusion, The forward or backward tilt of axis of the spindle (basically an invisible line from upper ball joint to lower joint) is called CASTER. Caster is what directly effects how quickly the wheels will return to neutral after turns and also greatly effects straight line stability. The inward and outward tilt at the top edge of the tire is CAMBER and this will effect how much tread is contacting the road in a turn.

I tried adjusting the upper control arm adjustments and it still looks like the angle of the spindles are still leaning foreward ......
-ANTHONY

Anthony, If what your saying is true are you sure you have the upper control arms on the correct sides? You should be able to adjust the caster rearward from neutral or "0deg"

Caliper position wouldnt casue this problem, in fact the alignment will be exactly the same even if you take them off. 3/4 degree+ is the preferred amount of caster. in a nut shell to be close make sure the imaginary line between upper and lower ball joints is leaning back very slightly. This should be close enough till you get it aligned. BTW If your car is Manual steering its supposed to be set up neutral or straight up verticle.

I went all through this after rebuilding my front end,talking to a master tech and reading up in the factory 1970 repair manual.

I bet alot of these alignment specs could be changed a bit considering the advent of Radail tires now. Probably best to get the specs from a 76 dart I think they had radials by then.

-
Back