1970 Duster 340 Project ...

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been away a couple years, racing my Charger a bunch this past Summer and am now looking at the Duster again... Oh boy !!

Back in April, the 29th to be exact, the 727 grenaded on me playing around with the line lock in the driveway. The car has literally been sitting in the same spot for the past 7 months, pretty much ignored. The case exploded and tried to come through the tunnel, breaking my right foot pretty good.

Since then I also had a nitrous mishap with my SRT8 and blew the motor up in that, got it all done over and have had a blast racing it this year. Now it's time to park it for the Winter so considering a project with the Duster.

A couple days ago we dragged it out and up onto the lift, and here's what's left of the transmission. It wasn't too hard to remove :yawinkle:

100_2480.jpg

I don't remember if it's cool to post links to other forums here or not, so apologies in advance if it isn't, but here's a thread with a bunch more pictures in it..

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=245492

At the moment I'm not 100% on what I'm gonna do with this car. I have an offer on the table to sell it and another one to trade it for labor on the Charger, which I'm pretty good at breaking #-o

The only definite now that the tranny is out, is to pull the motor and weigh the options. One is getting rid of it, but that's a toughie since I've had it since 1978 when I was 21, and now have a 21 year old who's interested in working on it with me and racing it. Another option is finding another 727 and just get her back on her feet again. The motor didn't get hurt except for a broken motor mount and a hole in the radiator from a piece of 727 shrapnel. A third option is moth balling the original 340 and going with a 3rd generation hemi and nag1 transmission. I see some of you guys are going that way and I've been doing a ton of reading the past few days...

So either way, I'm back for now, and always open to ideas and suggestions. If I move forward with this car I know I can count on tons of help from you guys as always, so thanks in advance...

Ken

This topic is "Member RESTORATIONS"... not, "Member DESTRUCTIONS". LOL. I say get another 727. I got a rebuilt one on ebay for a fair price.

Good Luck Ken. I hope you decide to restore the car and keep it. 1978 huh? Thats a long way to go just to unload it now.

George

Deciding whether to sell or restore is always a tough decision, especially with all the history associated with this car.

The deciding factors for me would be: how much rust/rot are in the car, including the floors, frame rails, trunk, quarters and roof?

Unless you can do all the metal work yourself or have access to someone who is very capable and reasonably priced, you could spend a small fortune on restoring the body/paint.

If the body/paint don't bother you, you could simply fix the mechanicals, and drive it till it drops again, at which point, you have had some fun with the car, and then can weigh whether restoring the car is within your budget.

Either way, all the best to you, in whatever you decide, for the Duster 340.

This topic is "Member RESTORATIONS"... not, "Member DESTRUCTIONS". LOL. I say get another 727. I got a rebuilt one on ebay for a fair price.

Yeah, but the fun part of construction is destruction, right?

Good Luck Ken. I hope you decide to restore the car and keep it. 1978 huh? Thats a long way to go just to unload it now.

George

Thanks George, and you're right, nearly 33 years is a long time to own a car. I don't know if I have it in me though to do the car justice, and the only thing worse than getting rid of it is just letting it sit again for years.

Good Luck Ken

Thank you

Deciding whether to sell or restore is always a tough decision, especially with all the history associated with this car.

The deciding factors for me would be: how much rust/rot are in the car, including the floors, frame rails, trunk, quarters and roof?

Unless you can do all the metal work yourself or have access to someone who is very capable and reasonably priced, you could spend a small fortune on restoring the body/paint.

If the body/paint don't bother you, you could simply fix the mechanicals, and drive it till it drops again, at which point, you have had some fun with the car, and then can weigh whether restoring the car is within your budget.

Either way, all the best to you, in whatever you decide, for the Duster 340.

Very valid points, thanks.. I think I could do a respectable job with the car, but as I stated above, just don't know if I have it in me.. I have a brother who has made a nice offer on the car, and he did a great restoration on a '74 360 many years ago... The only good part of this route is I'd still get to drive it now and then .. Tough call to make at this point...

Thanks for the advice and thoughts fellas...

Ken

Letting it sit is fine as long as its out of the weather. I have had my '69 Barracuda since '79 so I know where you are coming from. Just remember you never appreciate them until they are gone. Sounds like you don't have the time or money or motivation to restore it now so why not take the middle ground and just get it running again so you can drive it once in a while for old times sake?

Letting it sit is fine as long as its out of the weather. I have had my '69 Barracuda since '79 so I know where you are coming from. Just remember you never appreciate them until they are gone. Sounds like you don't have the time or money or motivation to restore it now so why not take the middle ground and just get it running again so you can drive it once in a while for old times sake?

So true, and I think that's why I've held onto it so long. It's been out of the weather for 30 years, but I did let it go a few years once without running it, and had to change the entire fuel system from the tank forward. Some nasty sludge in there...

I also think you nailed it with the motivation thing... I'm finding more and more at my age (53) that the modern Mopars are more interesting to me. I love my '06 SRT8 Charger. Something about driving to the track in full comfort, loading a tune and throwing in some race gas, run mid 11's all day and then drive home is nice. I would love to have both, but financially that's not feasible for me. Funny how we get attached to these old A bodies...

Nevermind that new car bullshit! Get in the garage and get started, dammit! I wanna see this old mutha get restored!

:D

Nevermind that new car bullshit! Get in the garage and get started, dammit! I wanna see this old mutha get restored!

:D

You will George, but it will be restored by my younger brother. I finally decided to let her go and signed over the title last night. Feb 2, 2011 would have made 33 years since I first brought her home.

It's a little emotional on the one side, but I know the car has a much better shot at getting a great restoration from him rather than me, so that's a good thing..

Besides, I'll still get to drive her once in a while :wink:

Ken

Kenny, yer freakin killin me here! Oh well, at least it's still in the family.
You better get it to Trumbull one day after it's back together! LOL

George

Kenny, yer freakin killin me here! Oh well, at least it's still in the family.
You better get it to Trumbull one day after it's back together! LOL

George

I know George, you not the only one pissed at me..LOL... I'll get down there this spring for sure..

Have a happy, healthy New Year buddy !!!

Ken

-
Back