1970 Duster Filler Neck Replacement

-

DusTed70

Reaction score
First off, this is my first post on this site and if I missed a thread with my answer, I apologize, I looked at a lot of threads but never like any of them fit my dilemma.

Disclaimer: I don't have tons of experience working on cars, so please explain things like I'm an idiot, because I probably am.

I have a 70 Duster that needs the gas tank, fuel filler neck tube and gas line replaced. FYI...in case it matters, I currently have the 198 Slant 6, but will be replacing it with a 318 in the future, so I'm hoping to get parts that will work for both, so I'm going to increase the fuel line to 3/8".

PROBLEM: I have the Non-EEC tank currently. I am able to find the non-EEC tank just fine, but when looking for the filler neck tube, I can only find the EEC one. Does anyone know where I can find a new non-EEC filler neck or can suggest a solution? Is it inexpensive and beneficial to just change it to an EEC fuel tank (and will either be better for the 318 I eventually put in it)?

Can you weld/ braze/ silver braze? Other fabrication? You can add the 69/ earlier non-EEC tube fairly easily What is wrong with your filler tube?

I don't know what an non EEC tube is or what one looks like. But I have a couple tubes that maybe WYLF.
Post a pic up and I'll compare mine.

Can you weld/ braze/ silver braze? Other fabrication? You can add the 69/ earlier non-EEC tube fairly easily What is wrong with your filler tube?

I'm not gonna be able do any welding or brazing. The old tube looks ok but the flat piece of metal inside is rusted and failing apart at the bottom. Tank was in the same shape on top.

PXL_20201222_223344397.jpg

I thought that the 4 screw models were for the Dart/Valiant body style, and the 3 screw model was for the Duster/ Demon model. But hey....I've been wrong before.

I thought that the 4 screw models were for the Dart/Valiant body style, and the 3 screw model was for the Duster/ Demon model. But hey....I've been wrong before.

Not sure, I'm confused because there is a Valiant emblem and a Duster sticker underneath. That's why I looked for a Valiant filler neck and found the 69 model has one that looks almost exactly like mine and the length is the same. BUT it has 5 holes for screws to match the 3 and 4 styles.

16086847153432761055404856533084.jpg

I am dating myself. I am comparing the 70 Dart style body vs the 70 Duster body style. I have never received confirmation that the filler necks were interchangeable (or not). I just thought that the screw hole count indicated application.

Not sure, I'm confused because there is a Valiant emblem and a Duster sticker underneath. That's why I looked for a Valiant filler neck and found the 69 model has one that looks almost exactly like mine and the length is the same. BUT it has 5 holes for screws to match the 3 and 4 styles.

View attachment 1715655301
The 1970 Duster was the first model of the series (was derived from the base Valiant), and carried both the Valiant & Duster logo's. It is a Duster, so you will need to get the parts that fit that model.

The 1970 Duster was the first model of the series (was derived from the base Valiant), and carried both the Valiant & Duster logo's. It is a Duster, so you will need to get the parts that fit that model.
Yeah, thats nice, now go and try to find a filler neck for a 1970 Duster without ECCs- the one that has the hard vent line on the fuel filler neck.

When you get your filler neck, a couple of suggestions:

Leave the tank loose as you try to get the filler neck in place - these ones where the tube goes in from the inside of the trunk (as opposed to others that install from the outside of the body) can be cantankerous.

Don't freak when you figure out that the little vent tube just goes into your frame rail and ends - that's the way they were designed. Many of the seals for the trunk floors come without the vent tube hole opened up and you just have to do that yourself.

-
Back