1970 Duster w/727 shifting question

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
All, I added a spacer under my carb on my 340 to help with heat. I noted after installing the spacer the transmission does not down shift to passing gear when I go to WOT. As noted in the subject line the car has a 727 with floor mounted shifter.

Could just be a slight adjustment needed now. Did you hook it all up the exact same way? Could you please post a Picture of the Carb/linkage etc...??

I did not unhook any transmission linkage. I did have to adjust the accelerator cable slightly (clamp slide) because with the carb raised the cable pulled the throttle open slightly.

Could just be a slight adjustment needed now. Did you hook it all up the exact same way?

I did not unhook any transmission linkage. I did have to adjust the accelerator cable slightly (clamp slide) because with the carb raised the cable pulled the throttle open slightly.
They are that sensitive to change. Just a fraction of an inch can do it. I believe you need to just gradually adjust the linkage longer until it's back to normal. Maybe one 16th of an inch at a time.

Can you give me some idea where to make the adjustment at? I'm looking at the throttle linkage adjustment section of my shop manual.

They are that sensitive to change. Just a fraction of an inch can do it. I believe you need to just gradually adjust the linkage longer until it's back to normal. Maybe one 16th of an inch at a time.

Can you give me some idea where to make the adjustment at? I'm looking at the throttle linkage adjustment section of my shop manual.
I may have a different setup than you but I have a threaded metal Rod and I can just unclip the connector from the Carb. and Turn the adjustable end on it. A picture would really help to see your setup.
I believe the Technical term for it is Throttle Pressure linkage even though everyone calls it kickdown.

My setup is the same as yours. I installed a rigging pin in the brackets aft of the carb, pulled up on the linkage from the trans, adjusted the rod end linkage as required, which was off about 6 turns. I think it should be good. Will test drive tomorrow and report here.

I may have a different setup than you but I have a threaded metal Rod and I can just unclip the connector from the Carb. and Turn the adjustable end on it. A picture would really help to see your setup.
I believe the Technical term for it is Throttle Pressure linkage even though everyone calls it kickdown.

My setup is the same as yours. I installed a rigging pin in the brackets aft of the carb, pulled up on the linkage from the trans, adjusted the rod end linkage as required, which was off about 6 turns. I think it should be good. Will test drive tomorrow and report here.

Cool! I hope it works first try. I had to mess with mine a few times but finally got it.

-
Back