1970 Mexican Superbee (Valiant/Duster)

-

Superfan99

Reaction score
Just today I purchased a beater of an old 1970 Mexican Superbee (318 4 speed manual). It seems to be a re-badged Duster with some fancy whiz-bangs on it. From what I understand there were very few made and they were all made in Mexico (obviously). This restoration is going to take many years and I'm looking forward to the project. My question is as follows. From my limited research on these vehicles, it seems that there is no VIN tag on the dash where you would normally find one here in the states. I do have a tag in the drivers side door post that is riveted in place (isn't as long as I'd expect a VIN to be), and I have the fender build plate tag. Haven't found numbers on the core support or under the weatherstripping of the decklid yet. The build codes on the fender look similar to other dusters I've restored over the years but the lack of VIN is a bit strange to me. Maybe it's something to do with the Mexican vehicle construction and they weren't put on the dash like you would normally expect. There are two holes in the dash where a VIN plate would normally be riveted in place, it appears there has never been a plate riveted there. Any insight into where the VIN is located and where I could find translated body codes (some codes I've found, most others are still a mystery). I'm wondering if it's so difficult because the numbers used were different in Mexico than the US. Thanks for reading this, and thanks for the help.

20240927_103534.jpg

20240927_142352.jpg

Just today I purchased a beater of an old 1970 Mexican Superbee (318 4 speed manual). It seems to be a re-badged Duster with some fancy whiz-bangs on it. From what I understand there were very few made and they were all made in Mexico (obviously). This restoration is going to take many years and I'm looking forward to the project. My question is as follows. From my limited research on these vehicles, it seems that there is no VIN tag on the dash where you would normally find one here in the states. I do have a tag in the drivers side door post that is riveted in place (isn't as long as I'd expect a VIN to be), and I have the fender build plate tag. Haven't found numbers on the core support or under the weatherstripping of the decklid yet. The build codes on the fender look similar to other dusters I've restored over the years but the lack of VIN is a bit strange to me. Maybe it's something to do with the Mexican vehicle construction and they weren't put on the dash like you would normally expect. There are two holes in the dash where a VIN plate would normally be riveted in place, it appears there has never been a plate riveted there. Any insight into where the VIN is located and where I could find translated body codes (some codes I've found, most others are still a mystery). I'm wondering if it's so difficult because the numbers used were different in Mexico than the US. Thanks for reading this, and thanks for the help.

View attachment 1716308865

View attachment 1716308866
I would assume that laws regarding VIN numbers/vehicle IDs were different in Mexico at the time, so I'd concentrate on finding a Mexican equivalent of Galen Govier if one exists.

That said, I'm going to follow this with interest as I've never seen a foreign Mopar restored. Good luck with this project.

That article is crap. They mention the use of a Dart grille when it is clearly a modified Shark Tooth grille...

1727512996421.png

"Chrysler decided to set the Mexican Super Bee apart from the Duster by using the front grille of the U.S.-spec Demon. The Valiant Super Bee was further updated in 1972 and 1973, to the point where it became a Plymouth Duster with a Dodge Dart front fascia."

Then they state the specs of the later version based on the USA Aspen/Volare while showing pictures of what we call a Dart Sport...

That article is crap. They mention the use of a Dart grille when it is clearly a modified Shark Tooth grille...

View attachment 1716308909

"Chrysler decided to set the Mexican Super Bee apart from the Duster by using the front grille of the U.S.-spec Demon. The Valiant Super Bee was further updated in 1972 and 1973, to the point where it became a Plymouth Duster with a Dodge Dart front fascia."

Then they state the specs of the later version based on the USA Aspen/Volare while showing pictures of what we call a Dart Sport...
I don't think that we read the same article.

You should have an "AutoMex" plate welded to the ....a few years ago I could have told you where.

Either the shock tower, or where the US fender tag would be?

They are NOT similar to any US car VIN tag or data plate.

I believe you should also have "270" badges shaped like guitar picks for the front fenders.

I believe you should also have "270" badges shaped like guitar picks for the front fenders.
The only 270 badge that remains, is on the outside of the passenger hood scoop. I did see a Canadian restoration, and some sales literature when the car was being sold. There are a few emblems missing.

Was it not true that many cars went outside the USA were rebranded (Like in this case) with a different set of clothes on it and sold outside the USA. More so than just
Canada and Mexico.
My work history in the Oil & Gas world has taken me to different countries Ecuador being one of them. I saw 4 door mini trucks in that country that were never sold in the USA including the
Chevrolet LUV , Toyotas and the likes.............. It had to be because the big 3 kept them out of our country........ Look at how they kept Tucker from developing his car............ I would like to call those Ba$^$#@ what they are to their face. The government allowed that to happen because its ALL about control

-
Back