1970 Slant 6 in a 1983 Dodge B150

-

VanMan33

Reaction score
Just realized that this is “for A
Bodies only” I’m an idiot this isn’t even close to the right place to post this question, I’m sorry everyone don’t mean to waste anyone’s time.

Hi all,

I have a 1983 Dodge B150 with a 225 Slant 6 that is losing oil pressure when warm and will likely soon need a rebuild, but still runs great at the moment (other than losing oil pressure)

I’ve always loved older vans and bought this one for a good price as my first project and don’t really know what I’m doing yet, so I want to buy a cheap 225 and rebuild that one instead of ripping apart my currently running engine (probably stupid but I don’t care).

I have the opportunity to get a 1970 225 for under $100 but with it being a cab over engine I’m worried it may not fit right because I’m pretty sure the 83 has a shorter block. Does anyone know if the 1970 will fit in the engine bay and to the transmission?

I apologize if what I’m saying is completely stupid, like I said I’m new to this and am trying to learn. I appreciate any help.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Depending on what the new engine is out of, the oil pan may or may not be correct for your chassis; but otherwise it'll be fine. Just check to see if the pan is front, center, or rear sump and whether it matches what's in your van- I'm not really up on which one the van uses. At worst you'll need a different pan, pickup, and dipstick.
On the off chance that your van is a stick shift, make sure the new crank flange is drilled for a pilot bushing.

Doesn't make any difference in fitting, but the 83 engine has hydraulic valve train, where the 70 engine is solid mechanical valve train. Also the cyl head takes different spark plugs and a different valve cover. The intake manifold might need to be changed as (and I am not sure) the 83 engine might have a 2 bbl carb, while the 70 engine will have a 1 bbl. These are just some things to be aware of and will not affect the engine fitting in the van.

PS: before getting into a engine swap, check and clean the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump. It might be stuck. It is external to the engine, and easy to do.

All of the slants a basically the same length, the accessory parts on the front may add or subtract from the overall length.

Depending on what the new engine is out of, the oil pan may or may not be correct for your chassis; but otherwise it'll be fine. Just check to see if the pan is front, center, or rear sump and whether it matches what's in your van- I'm not really up on which one the van uses. At worst you'll need a different pan, pickup, and dipstick.
On the off chance that your van is a stick shift, make sure the new crank flange is drilled for a pilot bushing.
I appreciate your response, I’ll definitely check the oil pan. Thank you!

Doesn't make any difference in fitting, but the 83 engine has hydraulic valve train, where the 70 engine is solid mechanical valve train. Also the cyl head takes different spark plugs and a different valve cover. The intake manifold might need to be changed as (and I am not sure) the 83 engine might have a 2 bbl carb, while the 70 engine will have a 1 bbl. These are just some things to be aware of and will not affect the engine fitting in the van.

PS: before getting into an engine swap, check and clean the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump. It might be stuck. It is external to the engine, and easy to do.
Thank you, all great info for me to know! I plan on checking the oil pressure relief valve and the oil pressure switch this weekend before making any moves on buying the engine.

-
Back