1970 Swinger 340 with light green butt stripe

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Many years ago a friend bought a badly deteriorated 1970 340 Dart. In the end the body was so compromised with rust he sold it and we lost track of it. It had a broadcast sheet and fender tag and when we decoded it all the car came in F4 green with a "light metalic green" butt stripe. I had never seen a green butt stripe in 40+ years of being a 70 Dart aficionado.

Today I ran across this 70 340 Swinger for sale at Volo - the big restoration car sales and museum spot northwest of Chicago. I visited there last summer and what a hoot that was - one of the biggest car museums I've ever been in with for sale sheets in most of the windows. The Dart has that exact paint/stripe scheme and I was wondering if anybody had seen another one of these???

Here's the link: YouTube

The car is really nice though not a perfect restoration - who paints the inside of a green Mopar trunk black???

For a while I was infatuated with cars that had blue tail stripes.

You see red ones a lot, but hardly ever blue or green.

Many years ago a friend bought a badly deteriorated 1970 340 Dart. In the end the body was so compromised with rust he sold it and we lost track of it. It had a broadcast sheet and fender tag and when we decoded it all the car came in F4 green with a "light metalic green" butt stripe. I had never seen a green butt stripe in 40+ years of being a 70 Dart aficionado.

Today I ran across this 70 340 Swinger for sale at Volo - the big restoration car sales and museum spot northwest of Chicago. I visited there last summer and what a hoot that was - one of the biggest car museums I've ever been in with for sale sheets in most of the windows. The Dart has that exact paint/stripe scheme and I was wondering if anybody had seen another one of these???

Here's the link: YouTube

The car is really nice though not a perfect restoration - who paints the inside of a green Mopar trunk black???
I was just looking over the different decals and stripes for 70-71 in the assembly manual last night and noticed a green tail stripe option. I thought I would be a darker green shade. interesting.

I am seeing green paint in the trunk

In the video it looks black - must be the light.

I have had some long back and forths with Joel Cooper about door panels in these 70 Darts. There are 2 different sets that match the seats. (VIN) LL cars (all Swingers but 340s) have a basic set and then LH cars (2 door Customs and GTs) have a fancier set. The issue with LM cars (Swinger 340s) is that bench seat cars have the low end seat pattern and buckets have the high end seat pattern (including a "Custom & GT" style back seat that matches the buckets). Joel believes that even with high end seats, the 340 cars all had low end door panels. This car has high end door panels with low end bucket seat covers. I wish I knew if the car came like that. Legendary has both sets of door panels, bucket seat covers and both high and low end bench and back seat covers. They used the old seat covers and door panels off of my Custom 2 door to make the high end stuff, many, many years ago.

I owned a 70 swinger 340 originally f4 and black interior. Not sure about tail stripe code. Not savy enough back then to de code the whole tag..!! 4sp power steer, black vinyl top. From nov 83- march 94. Last time I saw it for sale done in black on e-bay out of Florida around 2007. Ad said one repaint..!! Yea right that car was 7 different colors before I bought it..!! All found when I stripped the body to steel..Swingn’

-
Back