1970 Swinger cigarette lighter location

-
My 70 Swinger 340 4sp has both
I believe the bezel lighter was for the passenger, ash tray lighter for the driver
I did use the bezel location for a hand choke cable back in the early 80's, worked great. My exhaust heat riser valve was removed by the PO.

My 70 Swinger 340 4sp has both
I believe the bezel lighter was for the passenger, ash tray lighter for the driver
I did use the bezel location for a hand choke cable back in the early 80's, worked great. My exhaust heat riser valve was removed by the PO.
I didnt realize that sometimes there could be two. Thats great to know, thanks!

All 1970 Dart and Duster 340 cars came with the bezel mounted lighter, however, I don't think any came with an extra lighter mounted in the ashtray. It's possible a dealer or a PO installed one since there is a hole for one. If a second lighter was an option there would probably be a second plug for one in the wiring harness and I don't remember seeing one when I had the dash apart.

It's possible a dealer or a PO installed one since there is a hole for one.
Ahhhh, so just because there is a hole for one, doesn't necessarily mean that there was one installed from the factory.
This confused me further because the 1970 reproduction bezels that are being offered for sale dont have a hole for the lighter

The Rallye Dash bezel I bought from Classic Industries in 2016 had an outline on the back for drilling a hole for the lighter so you have the option of not installing a lighter.

From long ago maybe moparts
Chrysler saw a safety issue with the passenger reaching over around the shifter for the ashtray lighter.
I think IIRC that the bezel lighter was included if you got the rear passenger ashtray armrest
My 70 dart had both lighters and factory wired for both plus the rear ashtrays

The Rally dash thread The Rally dash thread gives good descriptions on the A body 67-71 Rallye Dash lighter locations. The lighter location on the bezel is mentioned in the second post, "a cigarette lighter was added to the right of the cluster. this was bcoz 68 didnt have one in the ash tray due to the unique to 68 lower dash pads". All 68 A bodies had the lighter on the dash. Only 69 and 70 Rallye dashes kept the lighter on the bezel. The 71 Rallye dash went back to the ashtray.

The Rally dash thread The Rally dash thread gives good descriptions on the A body 67-71 Rallye Dash lighter locations. The lighter location on the bezel is mentioned in the second post, "a cigarette lighter was added to the right of the cluster. this was bcoz 68 didnt have one in the ash tray due to the unique to 68 lower dash pads". All 68 A bodies had the lighter on the dash. Only 69 and 70 Rallye dashes kept the lighter on the bezel. The 71 Rallye dash went back to the ashtray.
Thanks for the link to that thread, there is lots of good information in it

Pics of my 70 Swinger 340 rallye dash

IMG_8692.jpeg

IMG_8693.jpeg

-
Back