1971 Carb. swap

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
Does anyone have any reason not to use a Carter BBD #4962 (383) instead of a BBD #4958 (318) to swap out on a stock 318 running a Rochester currently. Fed up with Rochester and didn't know if it made much of a difference which BBD I use. Also, should the swap be a simple bolt on with the current linkage and stock intake? Have to prime carb to start and then will only fire after sitting several hours but will not start unless primed again. Just going to replace carb as pump is new and filters clean.

I'm looking at this again so I guess I will try to get some responses now. 71 318 w a/c so I have the Rochester, which has been rebuilt but still starves out at the point of hard throttle. Is there a BBD I can use that will bolt right up for the application?

Holley made a replacement carb for the BBD List # 7886 model 2280 it was for the 1975-76 , 318 cu.in. 250 CFM . Don't know if that will work for you or not but I got a nice one on the shelf

I used a holly from Ebay with a rebuild... Works great on my "71..

Anyone want the Rochester it's in my garage..

I went ahead and got a rebuilt factory replacement. Going to take my larger jets out of the one that's on the car now and swap em out and hope that the swap will take care of my problems.

Put on a remanufactured 2GC and the difference is night and day. The car immediately responds to throttle and moves pretty good. Waiting for a warm day now or someone to sell me a air box with a door. It makes for a cool ride.

-
Back